Keep getting weird tones while recording

Posted: 12/18/2012 7:19:06 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Amey,

I know its a pain - but until I get my new (old) PC and install Windows 8 on that, I cannot access Sound Cloud. I am not willing to risk installing 8 over my vital XP PC, just have too many vital programs that I cannot risk.

If you want me to listen to your sample, you will need to host it somewhere sensible, LOL ;-) - or email it to me.

Fred.

Posted: 12/18/2012 7:41:42 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Omg! I just listened to the sample from my iPad and I am not hearing the tones that I did hear on my laptop... WTH???" - Amey

If its an aliasing problem, then the recording should (will) have the aliasing.. There is no way that RF can be recorded and interfere with the playback D/A..

It works like this.. Signal with HF goes into A/D, A/D produces unwanted audio frequencies as a result of aliasing, and this unwanted audio IS RECORDED!

Playback reads the samples of whats been recorded, and the D/A converts this to analogue. The whole process is synchronous, and the playback side CAN ONLY reproduce what has been recorded - There can be no "embedded" RF in the samples, there can only be what was sampled - So if you are hearing aliasing in the playback, this aliasing WAS RECORDED!

So I have absolutely no idea whats going on - If it was just you who had heard it, I would suggest a problem with your laptops audio output.

Fred.

ps - does your laptop play back CD's MP3's etc ok? - might be worth playing other theremin tracks through it and see how they sound..

Posted: 12/18/2012 8:25:52 PM
GordonC

I hear them on my first generation iPad, and on my iMac.

Which theremin, Amé? I mostly record direct rather than miking the amp, and haven't had this issue.

Posted: 12/18/2012 8:28:16 PM
Amethyste

Gordon, I am trying to record my Subscope. :(

i hope I didn't knock anything inside while I traveled for the show in NYC.

and like you, I'd rather record direct than with an amp. We add so many effects on, that we rather start with a very clean recording before hand...

Posted: 12/18/2012 8:36:46 PM
FredM

Hi Gordon,

Are you the person who has "supersonic hearing" that RS was talking about?

;-)

Posted: 12/19/2012 8:33:43 AM
GordonC

No, I generally hear things at the speed of sound, not faster.

Posted: 12/19/2012 12:54:26 PM
Amethyste

THank you all for the advice!

I am in the pocess to finish Silent Night on the theremin. I 'll let you guys know How it comes out :)

Posted: 12/19/2012 4:43:55 PM
FredM

Ok - I have a cold at the moment and am really bunged up - But thanks to Christopher providing a working link, I have been able to listen to, and more importantly view the file.

I do not hear a typical aliasing tone - but something sounds wrong.. Doing a FFT on a few single cycles of the waveform (using zero-crossing to isolate these) I do not see any ghosts - what I get from the analysis of isolated waveforms is:

First column is the frequency devided by the fundamental, second is the frequency (this sample had 277Hz Fundamental), third is the amplitude (db).

277 -14.1
  2 554 -36.6
  3 831 -50
  4.00361 1109 -59.9
  5.01083 1388 -75.1
  6.00722 1664 -72.7
  7.01083 1942 -73.9
  8.01083 2219 -79.3
  8.075812 2237 -82.1
  9.01083 2496 -70.2

One can see that the detected peaks (with possible exception of the 2237 Hz signal - but this is at such a low level I doubt that it could be the problem) all correspond to integer harmonics.

It is quite a different matter however if I take a FFT "snapshot" of a few samples - there is all sorts of anomaly - now this does occur naturally (due to vibrato and the fact that theremin pitch is NEVER constant - even over two samples) - But what I see in this waveform looks like some AF intermodulation - a sort of FM.

I have tried to do a FM demodulation on the signal, but had no luck so far.. I think I may need to import the waveform into my simulator and construct a circuit to decode it.

So -

1.) My hearing is not even covering the normal 16kHz bandwidth at present, so my ears cannot verify anything - the "problem" I hear may well not exist - it could be rattling mucus!

2.) As far as I can see there is no aliasing.

3.) I do see some unusual features when I do FFT on a "real" sample of about 100ms - and I think there may be some form of modulation occurring.

Fred.

ps - The fact that you dont hear the problem until it is played back, is a bit of a 'fly' in my evaluation - Aliasing would explain this - and it may still be aliasing - I may be doing something wrong when I look at individual waveforms..  but perhaps there is some other problem with your sound card..

To be honest, I do not trust my evaluation at all - It doesnt make sense, and is not "solid" to me. Perhaps the aliasing moves the problem behind legitimate harmonics at some frequencies, and I have just picked those frequencies to analyse (Yes, this certainly can happen! ;-)

Posted: 12/19/2012 8:21:41 PM
dewster

"I have a cold at the moment and am really bunged up..."  - FredM

Hey, I had dibs on the cold!  OK, this is getting weird!

Amethyste, I just did an external S/PDIF loop with my soundcard and captured your recording in Adobe Audition.  The noise floor is around -66dB, peak around -17dB, which gives 50dB dynamic range (not super good, equivalent to ~8 bits).  In the noise floor after the end of your performance I hear a ~5kHz whine and some whiter noise, kind of like an AM radio set between stations.  All through your performance I hear a gritty intermodulation sound that seems correlated to how loudly you are playing the Theremin. 

So, I'd say get an output filter of some type. 

You might also try recording at a higher sampling rate, and then down converting (which, if done correctly by your recording software, would apply a sharp low pass digital filter right at the edge of audibility). 

What level are you recording at?  If low, boosting it somewhat might help SNR here too.

Posted: 12/19/2012 8:26:35 PM
Amethyste

Thank you all so much for your input!

I am recording Mono ~16 bits ~ 44.1kHz on my soundcard and the same levels in my software. I know my software is outdated too (Cool Edit Pro)

Output filter? Like a ground loop eliminator? I am so sorry, I am totally clueless when it comes to this kind of thing, I am not the brightest!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.