The Etherwave Cometh

Posted: 12/28/2012 3:28:43 AM
ShinyBeast

Well, as soon as Guitar Center restocks anyway. tried to order right from Moog but they wouldn't take a gift card as partial payment...

Anyway I would like some feedback as to whether you think I chose the right product. Never played before though I am an experienced guitar and bass player with minimal knowledge of keyboards. My tastes teeter toward the experimental and psychedelic though I appreciate beauty as much as the hard-hitting. I like to have as much flexibility for sound as possible even if I don't use all the bells and whistles. I struggled between the B3 Deluxe and Etherwave Standard...the former almost won out with its beauty in terms of audio and general simplicity in design, but I was concerned it might be too limiting. However, I remain concerned that I bit off more than I can chew with theEtherwave as a completenovice. 

Tell me, do you think I made the right choice given my tastes? Not too late to cancel my order...

Posted: 12/28/2012 4:03:38 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

LOL ;-)

With that title, I thought some new end-of-the-world prophesy had been revealed..

The Etherwave Cometh to engulf the earth - buy your earplugs now!  ;-)

Out of the available new theremins with fair price tags, I think going for a Moog is a sensible choice. The Etherwave is the worlds most popular and played theremin - Its not the cheapest - There is likely to be a good reason. I am not a thereminist, but technically the EW is a solid design.

Posted: 12/28/2012 4:55:42 AM
Jason

I haven't played a B3, so I can only speak to the Etherwave half of your question...

I love my Etherwaves.  I have 3 currently.  2 are stock, and one has Thierry Frenkel's ESPE01 module installed on it.  For me, they are great instruments and have literally provided thousands of combined hours of entertainment over the years.  

You'd also likely love the B3 line too.  I think the difference, at least in the beginning, is a matter of personal preference.  Until you are good enough to covet an Etherwave Pro or commission your own custom instrument, you will have fun with either instrument.

For me, having real Moogs is something of a badge of honor.  I will definitely get a B3 Deluxe someday so I can do a side by side comparison.  Until then, I love my EW.

Posted: 12/28/2012 12:22:31 PM
ShinyBeast

"I love my Etherwaves.  I have 3 currently.  2 are stock, and one has Thierry Frenkel's ESPE01 module installed on it.  For me, they are great instruments and have literally provided thousands of combined hours of entertainment over the years."

Thanks. What enhancements do the ESPE01 module provide?

Posted: 12/28/2012 12:37:02 PM
coalport

In my not-so-humble-whatever, the Etherwave is your best bet.

Posted: 12/28/2012 3:41:53 PM
Amethyste

I cannot suggest anything... I have 2 theremins and none of them is an Etherwave. Maybe one day!

Posted: 12/28/2012 5:18:41 PM
Thierry

"What enhancements does the ESPE01 Module provide?"

it enhances the pitch range, linearity and tone of the Etherwave Standard and Plus Theremins. Thomas Grillo demonstrates the features of an upgraded instrument in this video: http://youtu.be/aHi7OjcLhL8

Posted: 12/28/2012 6:44:07 PM
ShinyBeast

"it enhances the pitch range, linearity and tone of the Etherwave Standard and Plus Theremins. Thomas Grillo demonstrates the features of an upgraded instrument in this video: http://youtu.be/aHi7OjcLhL8"

Thanks. Would I contact you if I were interested in this moving forward? Do you install the module or ship with directions?

Posted: 12/28/2012 10:11:18 PM
Thierry

The module can be ordered online: http://www.ethermagic.eu

I "externalized" the production and sales of the modules to have more free time for new inventions. Thus, the Dutch Thereminist Wilco Botermans will send you the module with an installation manual in PDF format. He also created a video tutorial on YouTube and he'll send you the link.

... And I'm often here in the TW forums to give helpful hints. :-)

Posted: 12/28/2012 11:36:48 PM
ShinyBeast

Great, thanks for the info. Seems I made the right choice for me. I was a little concerned about reports of "harshness" in the Etherwave, especially after hearing how pleasant the B3 sounds, so it's nice to know there are options to enhance the audio If I'm not fully satisfied.

Very excited to take delivery of this. Should arrive hopefully early in the new year, right when the cold harsh realities of January weather and a return to the daily grind of the corporate world smack me in the face. Will be a welcome distraction!

BTW, I know there are a billion amp threads here, but for my temp solution I plan to use either my basic two-speaker PA system or my old Peavey bass amp (model TKO75).  Which do you think will be a better fit?

I also have a Fender guitar tube amp and a Roland Microcube, but I assume these are less attractive options. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.