Enigma theremin for sale?

Posted: 2/13/2013 2:32:48 PM
Amethyste

This theremin is for Virtuosos, and for a meare 12K, can be yours. If you are a fan of Steampunk art, that might be your thing :)

I think that at least WORKING sound files should be linked to... I'd love to hear this beauty :)

http://www.aural-magic.com/therenigma1-p-213.html

Posted: 2/13/2013 4:25:49 PM
dewster

From that web site:

"Our engineer/designer, Al Little Bear Bartow, was fortunate to be educated and trained in tube theory towards the end of the vacuum tube era. He has been working with tube-based circuitry since the 1960's. He has been in the electronics industry since the early 1970's as an entrepreneur and businessman. He is also an FCC licensed broadcast engineer, and an electronics systems and design engineer. Electronics has been a major force in his life both as an avid hobby and as a lifetime profession.

Little Bear also has the distinction of being a Native American Shaman."

He's a genuine Theremin Shaman!

Posted: 2/13/2013 5:02:04 PM
RS Theremin

Hi all,

I mentioned in another thread yesterday that I lived just outside of the Pechanga Indian Reservation so let me clarify.

This product is not mine as I think you know. Because I discovered his website last Christmas is the reason I abandoned using the name Enigma for my theremin. Little Bear had been using it long before I did. He creates what I would call interesting theremin art.

It may sound like my Native American theremin sound byte? .mp3 80k  We have events in the States called PowWow's and I thought one day I may find a potential musician at one.

I have not met Little Bear but you never know, I need a vacation but I think he is about 600 miles north of me, I might as well go visit Portland, Oregon while I am at it. LOL

Christopher

Note: That sound byte above is from several years ago and today I can detect, using software, the background noise in that byte. I resolved this noise issue the past week with a little help from my friends in using SMPS wall-warts. I just never knew the noise was there!#$%

Posted: 2/13/2013 10:46:52 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"He's a genuine Theremin Shaman!" - Dewster

LOL ;-)

You probably need to be a genuine Shaman to get people to pay 12k for snake oil! ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 2/14/2013 12:36:49 AM
coalport

Which doctor?

Posted: 2/14/2013 12:55:25 AM
RoyP

Aye, exactly coalport!

If I paid 12K for THAT thing I'd expect at least some kind of Astral pow wow with Lev himself!

Posted: 2/14/2013 4:50:45 AM
SewerPipe

After extensive study, I have decided to go with this $1,600.00 Beauty. It has a choice of stands + that all important "RCA" switch. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTIMATE-THEREMIN-Analog-Synthesizer-Synth-Controller-Theramin-/221181680118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337f7499f6  Amey, the one above only 1 antenna not as good as a 2 antenna. I just noticed there are 2 of the $1,600.00 units for sale. So, who wants the second one?

IHS ---- Dana

Edit: For anyone who may be "New" to Theremin World, ------ This is intended as a "Joke". This (so-called) Theremin was talked about last year. To my knowledge no one was serious about paying that sort of price for it. (-:   

Posted: 2/14/2013 11:43:07 AM
Jesper Pedersen

A $231.40 Theremax with $1,368.60 worth of mods. They must be dishing them out like freshly baked bread...

Posted: 2/14/2013 2:07:01 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"A $231.40 Theremax with $1,368.60 worth of mods. They must be dishing them out like freshly baked bread..." - Jesper

You are missing one important point, Jesper.. The $231.40 only buys you a kit.. not like the EW kit which is assembled, but a kit where you need to do everything...

If someone (for reasons I will never understand) actually wants a dreadfully designed PAiA theremin, the will need to build it and set it up to get it to work... And reading the trials and tribulations of some who have attempted this undertaking but ended up with a neat box full of electronic junk...

The extra $1,368.60 is probably more about wages / compensation and for and the cost of medical / psychiatric treatment for any poor engineer tasked with getting these "theremins" to behave, than to cover the expense of the mods.

As for "dishing them out like freshly baked bread" ;-) I would be highly surprised - but perhaps not as surprised as I "should" be... When it comes to the reasons some people choose the theremins they do, I am completely at a loss! ;-) ... It seems to be related to mysticism or faith or something like that far more than playability or sound quality at times! ;-)

Fred

Posted: 2/14/2013 3:48:10 PM
Jesper Pedersen

I'm afraid I was being a bit sarcastic with my comments ;) I know there's labour involved and possible mightmares also. I contemplated building this particular theremin, but from what I have been able to gather about it, it seems like it suffers from a number of design flaws. So I decided to stay away. Even though the bare bones kit is fairly inexpensive it is still not worth it if the end result is going to be unsatisfactory.

IMO a theremin in the $1.600 price range would only appeal to people with a genuine interest and commitment to the instrument. One look at the antennas and the way the pitch rod is set up on this "ULTIMATE Stradivarius of theremins" says a lot about the quality of the mods. It does not look like a pro instrument for the pro thereminist.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.