Moog Etherwave Standard 'Mute' switch

Posted: 2/26/2013 1:26:07 AM
ChrisC

I have always thought 'cable looping' (over the volume antenna) to be a crude way of muting the EW. The problem of unwanted sound gets worse with the Wilco/TF upgrade board.

So, I fitted a mute switch today. A small toggle switch that works within a 6mm case hole. The action and location is forward and backward set between the aerial loop. This has had no effect on the unit's sound output. I have it set to be push the toggle away from me to mute and towards me to work normally.

I took the opportunity to change the recently installed unit-power-on LED too to a dual colour LED. This gives a green light for power on and in normal use and a red light to show it's muted. No light means the power is turned off (yes, I changed the on/off switch too) or you have forgotten to plug the power supply into the rear of the unit!!!

The pictures speak for themselves I think.

You can also see the modified volume antenna end location 'grommet' rather than the clunky fitting that normally is in place. Gives better response etc.

Posted: 2/26/2013 1:53:03 AM
Thomas Grillo

Nicely done! This is an awesome job. And it even sports 8 full octaves. ;)

Posted: 4/2/2013 3:29:56 AM
Thomas Grillo

I've just completed installation of the mute switch and dual colour LED system known as Mr Mute from ChrisC. After working out a minor gournding issue we were able to solve the problem in which there was a hum, and the theremin could still be faintly heard while in mute mode. Now it's fixed, and the system works perfectly. When in mute mode, the LED is red, and in play mode, it's green.

So nice not to have to drape the audio cable over the volume loop to mute. Also nice to see what mode the instrument is in.

I'm very satisfied with the Mr. Mute system. Special thanks to Chris for his work on this project. I highly recommend adding a Mr Mute to your Etherwave theremin.

To clarify, I used an old cabinet spring latch which had long since lost it's spring and rollers to serve as a hold down for the switch. Too lazy to go get a hot-melt glue gun. LOL :)

Mr Mute dual mode LED in mute condition.

BELOW: This is just a working prototype demonstration model of Mr. Mute. The production model will look cleaner, and won't be covered in electrician's tape. The switch will be held in place with a better looking method for end-users. ;)

Mr Mute switch loom and LED inside

Mr Mute switch and LED view

Posted: 3/24/2014 2:21:57 PM
bisem

I would like to install a simple mute switch on my EWS...no LED necessary.  I can't tell from the above posts how it is wired.  Could someone please explain to me in layman's terms what to connect where?  I am pretty handy with a soldiering iron and have some experience soldiering and de-soldiering on circuit boards but am very deficient in reading schematics.

Thanks for the help!

Posted: 3/24/2014 3:08:58 PM
Thierry

bisem, when without LED, you wire the switch in parallel to the audio output, making a short circuit between the yellow and the green wire when closed.

Posted: 3/25/2014 11:39:12 AM
Jesper Pedersen

Since my Etherwave+ is turned on all the time anyway I'm thinking of changing the power switch in to a mute switch. This way I don't have to drill extra holes in the cabinet.

Posted: 3/25/2014 11:56:26 AM
bisem

Thanks Thierry!

Posted: 2/4/2015 11:06:17 PM
Donovan Jonk

Hello,

Where can one order the Mr. Mute modification for Etherwave Plus?

Thanks!

Posted: 2/4/2015 11:28:41 PM
Thomas Grillo

@Donovan Jonk: Normally, I would be the one to go to for U.S. orders. However, due to vision, and other health issues, I'm no longer able to construct the Mr. Mutes, or install Thierry's modules until I can work out a way to overcome these issues.

In the U.K., and Europe, ChrisC is going to be the go-to person for Mr. Mutes.

I should point out, since the Plus already has an LED, you would only need the switch. But, if you want the coolness of the mode indicating LED, then by all means go with the full kit. :)

Posted: 2/8/2015 11:11:55 AM
gtc

Thomas please check your Private Messages.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.