Some people love the theremin sounds while others...................

Posted: 3/3/2013 8:19:16 AM
ChrisC

While watching a bit of Coalport/Peter's "How to play the theremin" dvd I asked my partner, Annie, to watch a section of the Hoffman RCA regarding its use in films. Annie will soon be legendary as a disliker of the theremin for sure. We recently saw (again) "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and yes it was a less than subtle attempt at me trying to get 'that sound' into her life so it was that clip on the dvd I showed her.

Her totally quick & dry response as Gort starts to come out of the spaceship & walk down the ramp was?

"Those people are not running away because they are scared of the robot. They just want to get away from someone playing a theremin"!!!!!

I nearly fell off my seat with laughter!

Posted: 3/3/2013 2:07:29 PM
Amethyste

How does she react when she hears great players like Clara Rockmore,  Peter Pringle, Thomas Grillo and Carolina Eyck?  I am sure she might be delighted to hear a theremin being "played" melodically (in a song she aldready knows) rather than a theremin being used for effects etc...

Posted: 3/3/2013 2:49:51 PM
RS Theremin

Coalport said: “I have recently seen a number of noobs purchase instruments that they have been advised to avoid by more experienced players.”

It has been discussed here that a rating system should be in place to direct potential theremin builders or musicians. (How to do this I don't know) These two types approach the theremin for different reasons. The University student just wants a project grade and the musician wants to develop theremin musical performance skills.

Anytime someone new asks for this advice I cringe, as I don’t know the answer. I know some of the faults in many designs but not the best theremin package.

I am curious, if “everything theremin” was free and available what is the recommended first choice for the first time musician new, used or old? Then there is the student, who needs to build something that looks original. They would etch my circuit board layout and remove my ID markings. LOL

What one theremin model would anyone say to avoid?

I was awarded a project grade of an “A” on many occasions over the years. What bothered me the most after all my effort the student most likely abandon the theremin at the end of the semester. There has been a steady decline in student interest over the past five years which started right about the time they got their first cell phone. (-‘

Christopher

Edit: My cell phone humor developed as Radio Shack abandoned the customer base that made them who they are to tap into the cell phone market. Now they overly price their little electronic parts and sell them online to compete with their online competitors who sell the same thing for 5 to 10 times less expensive? They recognized the declining hobbyist market as I have. Now they call themselves "The Shack", that is so cool. Tell someone you bought a stereo system at RS and it is an embarrassment! (-'

Posted: 3/3/2013 8:18:13 PM
coalport

RS Theremin wrote: It has been discussed here that a rating system should be in place to direct potential theremin builders or musicians. 

The problem with coming up with a ratings system is that we are unlikely to agree. As we all know, EVERYBODY IS RIGHT (even those who don't know their arse from their elbow). There are people in this forum who don't even play the theremin but who will have very definite ideas on what theremins are the BEST theremins. 

Chris mentioned that there are people who dislike the theremin no matter who plays it or how skilled they are. If you read the comments posted to the most popular theremin videos on YT, you quickly realize how right Chris is.

"When I heard this the first time the sheer beauty of it brought tears to my eyes. Now I listen to it every day when I get up in the morning. Thank you so much for posting!"

"This instrument is creeeepy! I don't know y anybody would want to play it. It's stupid."

Lots of people cannot stand the sound of an opera singer, no matter how great they may be. Go figga.

Posted: 3/3/2013 8:45:40 PM
ChrisC

Well Amey, you too need adding to that TG, PP list! I love your work so don't go all shy on me !!! Both the two guys are brilliant too (can't say I've heard enough of CE to fully comment) and I love what they can do with the instruments.

I think in fairness it is probably MY practicing that puts Annie off, but having played Clara on the CD player in the car where she can't get away from it (ha ha) she really doesn't like Clara R's playing at all (and I mean AT ALL), and I have to say that she would rate lower than all of the above mentioned in my list too! There, said it. Sacrilege to some maybe, but I like what I like.

It is, to use a UK phrase Coalport, a Marmite instrument. You either love it or hate it!

Well it's a frustrating piece of kit so that makes it all the more exciting to try and get anywhere with it. There are those that swear by Pitch Preview and those that swear at it. LOL. So many variations, & not one solution will be right for all parties. However you create 'the sound' it can only really be decided what is right for you by what pleases you.......................... and then see if others like it or not.

Pass the Marmite over here please I say!

Posted: 3/3/2013 9:22:42 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Pass the Marmite over here please I say!" Chris.

LOL ;-) .. The love or hate aspect (the fact that it seems most people either love the stuff or hate it, with few in-between) was brilliantly (IMO) exploited in Marmites "I hate Marmite" advertising campaign   ..

The clever bit about it, IMO, was that it promoted a myth - I think that a lot of people (I am one of them) really never "loved" the stuff or "hated" it - Most of the time they just didnt think or care about it much either way. The ad campaign (I think) caused those who didnt hate it to be inclined to group themselves with those who loved it.. Really clever!  - They were never going to "get" to those who hated it - But they certainly got to those who had forgotten about it or werent "passionate" about it.

Having said the above, If one feels in the mood for buttered toast with Marmite, there is absolutely nothing on this planet that can be substituted for Marmite IMO. ;-) .. But one is more likely to feel in the mood for it if one is reminded about it.. And perhaps the same is true for those who have aquired the taste for theremin.. 

But as with Marmite, for me certainly there are times I just couldnt eat the stuff - and one can quite easily have too much of it and go off it for a while.. And the same (for me) is true about the theremin.

Fred.

Darn all this talk about Marmite! - I want some now, but dont have any in the house... ...  If you were just a little closer Chris, I would be tempted to pay you a visit... ;-)

Posted: 3/3/2013 10:29:07 PM
ChrisC

Darn all this talk about Marmite! - I want some now, but dont have any in the house... ...  If you were just a little closer Chris, I would be tempted to pay you a visit... ;-)

Ooooh. Hot toast & Marmite. Always some in this house!!!

Posted: 3/3/2013 11:02:29 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I gave in and walked to my local co-op to buy some ;-)

Posted: 3/3/2013 11:41:37 PM
Amethyste

You guys are crazy... And I love you both dearly!

(and I love that Peter guy too.....shhhhhhh) ;)

Posted: 3/4/2013 12:37:52 AM
FredM

"You guys are crazy... And I love you both dearly!" - Amey

Awww ;-) Thanks Amey.. Its nice to be loved by at least one person here ! LOL ;-)

Theres something about you which just reminds me of my eldest daughters - Its really strange because I cannot identify exactly what it is.. But whatever - At least I am loved by all my children, even my "imaginary" ones, LOL ;-) .... And really, thats all the love a cynical old git like me needs!

Fred.

Oh, an who you callin crazy ????

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.