Electro-Harmonix "Ravish Sitar" with theremin?

Posted: 3/14/2013 10:29:51 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Dont judge all reverb by a cheap digital reverb."  - nieradka

There is nothing IMO wrong with the "digital" in "reverb" - The problem is the "cheap"!

My Lexicon MPX-1 Multi - Processor outshines every digital reverb I have played with (within my price range anyway - I got the MPX 1 cheap, but having used it would be willing to pay full price) ..

I have played with cheap digital reverbs and would choose a good spring reverb above them any day - but given the choice of a good spring reverb or my Lexicon, there would be no contest - The MPX-1 would win hands down!

Fred.

Posted: 3/15/2013 11:50:18 AM
Merula

I don't have experience with the Ravish Sitar but I do have experience of EHX pedals. My experience is mainly with the violin which is a tough instrument to track due to overtones. This often means that a pedal made for guitar (most of them) isn't going to work so well. So, when a pedal works well on the violin I would say it works well on anything. EHX pedals certainly track well but ultimately give a digital sound. That's not necessarily  a bad thing, it's another color for the palette. As regards the theremin, I like to think of it as a fretless synthesizer and you would want more than one sound on a synth.

How it sounds on theremin? I'm not sure but knowing EHX I would say it's sound is fairly consistent with other things you may hear (the viola demo in particular). If you want an edgy digital synthy sound then give it a go. You can always order one from one of the big companies and return it if you don't like it.

Posted: 3/15/2013 2:02:07 PM
Amethyste

Thank you Merula and Coalport.
I might get one this weekend and see if it works and if the sound pleases me. :)

There is a demo with a very talented and stunning violinist, and I really enjoyed the sound she got out of it... I think it might add a different flavor to the music we make especially during live shows :)

I'll report this weekend :)

Posted: 3/15/2013 7:20:40 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"I might get one this weekend and see if it works and if the sound pleases me. :)" - Amethyste

Why not contact EH and ask them for one ? - After all, you have featured on their front page demonstrating the TM, and almost certainly generated some sales for them with your excellent performance - They may (should) be more than happy to let you have other effects of theirs! (I know if I was in EH marketing, I would send you a box of all the pedals etc I could get you to take! ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 3/16/2013 4:32:05 AM
Amethyste

Fred,

I already asked... They told me "Amethyste Who? Who are you?"

I guess I am not important enough lol. :)

Posted: 3/16/2013 6:15:48 AM
FredM

"I guess I am not important enough lol."

You asked - that was the mistake!

"Im Amey Spar who got you hundreds of orders from thereminists for your TM by being featured your site using your TM with a theremin to produce the best Paveroti simulation ever heard!

I need you to send me your (list models) to evaluate these for use with the theremin and to do performances using the  EH units best suited for the theremin - Also, if you have any models I have not listed which you feel would be suitable, please send these at the same time.

I will of course send you videos of any production using these EH units to review prior to releasing them publicly. My address for delivery is..."

LOL ;-)  .. You need to say it in your less verbose way - By the time people hear my 2nd sentence I can hear the yawns! ;-)

Posted: 3/16/2013 10:58:11 AM
coalport

There are several thereminists (including yers trooly) whose theremin/Talking Machine videos have been linked and featured on the Electro-Harmonix website. Manufacturers do not give stuff away unless you're a professional, concertizing, "star" player with high visibility. Back in the late 70's & 80's (when I was sellin' gold) I used to get free instruments from manufacturers all the time without asking for them or even wanting them. 

YT superstar Jordan Rudess, who is a wonderful musician, has a Talking Machine video in which he actually discusses the device....I wonder if he got a freebie from the company. He uses the unit with a keyboard and although the sound is excellent, a keyboard cannot produce an emulation of a singer that is anywhere near as convincing as the theremin. 

Rudess discovered, as did I, that the Talking Machine works best when a fairly harsh sound is fed into it. By far the best theremin I have to use with the TM is the Julius Goldberg RCA whose sound is almost unlistenable in its unmodified state. 

My TM video has had far more hits than any other TM video linked on the Electro-Harmonix website and I sit by the phone for hours every day, waiting for that call telling me I'm going to get a freebie from the company......nothing........only silence....and tears.

Posted: 3/16/2013 9:48:17 PM
Dmi

From E-H's FAQ page (http://www.ehx.com/faqs):

• Question: I am an artist. Does Electro-Harmonix have an artist endorsement program?

• Answer: At this time Electro-Harmonix is not accepting applications for artist endorsement.

Is it just me, or did they side-step their own question?

BTW, another E-H pedal that's great for theremin is the Bass Big Muff Pi, played in the Dry position ("A dry switch that mixes your dry bass with the Bass Big Muff Pi's distortion").  It's a really nice way to add some overdrive warmth to your signal.  I really should have posted about the Pi the day before yesterday (3.14).

Posted: 3/17/2013 9:55:53 AM
AlKhwarizmi

I would be nice to listen to a recording/YT video of a theremin played with the Big Muff Pi.

And also with the Ravish Sitar, of course.

Posted: 3/17/2013 10:30:29 AM
coalport

Electro-Harmonix did not answer the question (above). It was a simple "yes" or "no" question but what the company said was, "Don't call us. We'll call YOU."

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.