THEREMIN REVIEW SERIES

Posted: 3/19/2013 2:29:57 PM
Thomas Grillo

@RS Theremin, I should also point out that if you earth to the metal case, as well as the other usual means, this also enhances the width of the field.

Posted: 3/19/2013 3:46:21 PM
AlKhwarizmi

The LV-3 looks like a great theremin for its price. If it had existed back when I was searching for my first theremin, I'd probably have bought it. I bought a B3 and don't get me wrong, I loved it, but as it had to be shipped from the US I had to pay a pretty high customs fee to get it. Having a manufacturer here in the EU that sells budget theremins is very good news.

It's great that it has a volume control, apart from the volume antenna adjustment. I wonder why not all theremins have that. It would have saved me looking for gear to attenuate the signal of my EW in order to use it with the Talking Machine (yeah, I know electronics-savvy people build that stuff with $1 resistors or things like that, but some of us need our gear pre-built!)

I agree with Thomas about the enclosure. This theremin has a very reasonable price which makes it an attractive choice for newbies or for people who are on a budget. I'm not an expert in materials but I guess a wooden cabinet would mean a significant increase in that price. I'd save that for more expensive models.

Pitch preview would be awesome, yes.

Posted: 3/19/2013 11:43:09 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

" However, the notiion that the metal case would cram the notes closer to the rod is, imho not quite accurate." - Thomas

I believe you are correct on this, Thomas -

A metal case may add a marginal "background" capacitance (and if the theremin has EQ inductors could increase the capacitance seen by these inductors ) but the only time that a metal case is likely to cause note compression near rhe antenna would be if grounding was inadequate.

If the theremin was running on battery, and a ground-isolated amplifier was connected, Then (and only then) one is likely to get extra "cramming" and non-linearity close to the antenna - This is due to the case becoming the primary "ground antenna" and the coupling of this to the player, and more particularly to the players hand / arm, will greatly increase non linearity.

Posted: 3/21/2013 9:34:06 PM
RoyP

Thomas, I've arrived at this thread a little late but would like to add my vote of thanks to you for doing these review videos of these theremins.

As was hinted, it's quite valuable to have someone who can actually play the instruments reviewing them rather than someone who just wants to make wobbly noises: not that wobbly noises in and as of themselves are a bad thing!

R

Posted: 3/21/2013 9:47:46 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hello RoyP. Thanks. I'm glad you found the video helpful. :)

Posted: 3/22/2013 11:14:29 PM
ChrisC

A quick UK Sterling/ US Dollar conversion makes this unit only 163USD brand new including the 110v adapter power supply AND delivery to your door in the US of A. Can't be bad!!!

As to the wood/metal casing comments, I think the Moog EW looks great in its wooden case as do the Burns B3 units, but one could be accused of being a bit "Steam Punk". I like that, but find the little LV-3 to be very satisfying on the eye as well as the ear. That aluminium (allooooooooooominum) case looks cool and having the top mounted controls is also a good move IMHO. It almost makes this a universal theremin in that it can be played left or right handed (std right handed) by reversing the volume loop; in other words, just putting it in the other way round.

I can't say I'm not super pleased to have bought this unit; 'cos I am ! Mine is also signed as I actually met the designer. I'm even closer than Gordon C is to their HQ. With that metal case/neat gadget look I'm pleased to say mine is numbered '007' !!!

Posted: 3/28/2013 2:17:57 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi all! Just uploaded the latest episode of Theremin Review. You can catch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cwGW0cBdRs

Enjoy!

Posted: 3/28/2013 11:31:52 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Thomas,

I have only watched the opening piece so far (reasons why I had to terminate I wont go into..) but I have one comment / suggestion..

Would it be a good idea for you to have a "theme tune" for this series? A tune ideally suited to demonstrating the theremin..

I think this might give people a better idea about the instruments playability - both in terms of pitch and volume.. they can then compare your performance on one instrument against your performance on another.

My first impression was that the tune you were playing on the EW was a far better performance (in terms of both pitch and dynamics) that the performance of god shave the queen on the LV theremin..

But it is impossible to tell if this is due to differences in the theremins playabilities or due to the pieces selected / your familiarity with those pieces... Or even, perhaps, my personal preference - give me the EW tune rather than UK national anthem any day ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 3/28/2013 11:48:01 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hello FredM. Please watch the entire program. There is closing credits theme at the end of the program. Also, just as I did with the LV-3 vid, I used short improvs, aprgios, and scales to demo the instrument's capabilities. The piece you heard at the start was a bonus, but it was perofmed on the same instrument in the actual demo. It's 26 minutes long, I know, but you'll understand when you've seen the intere program. Thanks. :)

Posted: 3/29/2013 12:26:17 AM
FredM

Thomas - I will watch it.. Wish I could now (well, I can - but I cannot hear it! ;-)..

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.