Want to Buy Wavefront Classic

Posted: 4/5/2013 7:16:28 PM
coalport

Amey, what was it about the Wavefront that made you want to get rid of it in the first place? I know you were very fond of it when you first got it. What changed your mind?

As your theremin playing progressed, were there things about it that you began to realize were holding you back, or keeping you from being able to express yourself musically as you would have liked? 

Posted: 4/5/2013 8:08:34 PM
Amethyste

Hmmm ... That is a very good question Peter.

While I do love the lovely sound I get from it, my stature is just not optimum for the really deep cabinet.

I feel that I have to really extend my arm and significantly change my technique to play this theremin correctly.

The volume is also a challenge: I feel there is a fatal flaw in the volume response. It is very touchy to convey feeling through the loop. It’s either deafeningly loud or pretty much silent. Though I could “live” with this flaw, the depth of the cabinet is really one that I cannot overcome. I feel that a taller person (heck, anyone over 5’2”) would be better suited to this theremin.

I am not certain that I “progressed” that much, maybe for me ~ the “holy grail” is different than most perhaps? I know a lot of people are looking for the perfect theremin sound to become their musical muse. I think for me (at least for now), I am trying to find this “zen” place where I can marry my “physical being” to the strange relationship with the theremin to play it correctly (as much as a human being can). To have ease of movement or lack of strain (I also need to watch for the carpal tunnel I finally got rid of 2 years ago) is FAR more important to me than the actual sound of the theremin: Relaxation/least amount of rigidness in your hands is a must if you want to play the theremin effectively. That is my “Holy Grail”. Anyone who can make a toy theremin sound ear pleasing, well ~ is a master in my opinion (I am sure anyone can debate this...)

Am I making sense, Peter?

Posted: 4/6/2013 9:14:20 AM
Jim Mattjhews

I guess he doesn't really want to get a wavefront. I sent him an email and replied here and i heard nothing...

Oh well! :)

You indicated that you wanted more than I wanted to pay and that the instrument has been modified for a lefty.

None of that says that I really don't want to get a Wavefront.

Posted: 4/6/2013 12:20:31 PM
Amethyste

Maybe I was asking $1,100? Perhaps we could have negotiated if you replied to my email... I still think that replying to people who took the time to write you is the courteous thing to so. 

Good luck in your search.

Posted: 4/6/2013 9:02:28 PM
Jim Mattjhews

Maybe I was asking $1,100? Perhaps we could have negotiated if you replied to my email... I still think that replying to people who took the time to write you is the courteous thing to so. 

Well, being the newbie, I didn't want to sound harsh by negotiating, but since you asked.....

Here's a beautiful Wavefront Classic (right handed) that just sold for $900 on March 8, 2013.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wavefront-Classic-Theremin-in-Beautiful-Walnut-Case-/111021154189?

This was sold after he relisted it. The first auction's highest bid was $910 and the reserve wasn't met. Then he decided to embrace reality, remove his reserve and take the $900 the second time around.

That's why I think a used Wavefront is worth less than a thousand. And yours is for a lefty so I have more shipping costs and costs of conversion.

So, I'll offer you $750 and I'll pay the freight.

Posted: 4/6/2013 10:11:28 PM
Amethyste

No thanks :)

$1,000 is as low as I'll go.

Posted: 4/7/2013 5:48:11 PM
Jim Mattjhews

Hi Amethyste,

If your instrument were not set up for left handed playing, I think would be very, very close to striking a deal.

It's the additional expense of shipping to CA to have it restored to a right hand instrument, the cost of conversion, and the shipping back that makes your offer unattractive.

Posted: 4/7/2013 10:22:59 PM
Amethyste

I understand totally... My offer is attractive, just the little details that are not.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.