Rocket Lolly

Posted: 4/7/2013 12:26:23 AM
RoyP

Hi all,

just a wee note to say that I'm back from a most enjoyable event at the Edinburgh Science Festival called 'Rocket Lolly'. ( http://www.projectmoonbase.com/ )

It was excatly as described in the blurb; a kind of cabaret with retro future visions, music, robotics and DJ electr sounds.

I even got a wee shot after the show of an Etherwave Pro, nice beastie it was as well! Thanks to Sarah Angliss for letting me have a shot.

(Edit) P.S.-tried the Pro using headphones and am really baffled as to why the output is so low! Nice theremin though.

Posted: 4/7/2013 1:44:44 AM
Jeff S

"P.S.-tried the Pro using headphones and am really baffled as to why the output is so low!"

Ummm...did you try adjusting the Headphone Volume knob?  If so, perhaps there was something wrong with the headphone circuit or the headphones themselves.

Posted: 4/7/2013 8:34:41 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I believe that the EW-Pro does not have a headphone amplifier per-se.. it uses low level signal inside the theremin, but that  adding a reasonable amplifier (say $1 maximum) was deemed too high a price on this low cost instrument, so it was left out..

I seem to remember Amey commenting on this matter recently, and Thierry detailing the reason..

But I must just say that I have no personal knowledge of the above - tis just what ive heard..

Fred.

Posted: 4/7/2013 10:19:09 PM
Thierry

The E-Pro has a headphone output which is even driven by a separate VCA. The problem is that the integrated headphone amplifier (TL 082 with 330 Ohm as current limiter in series with the output) is not very powerful. It works fine with headphones which have an impedance of around 600 Ohms (Sennheiser studio standard in the eighties). Most modern headphones have a much lower impedances around 30 Ohms. This is too much load for the EPro and pulls the output level down.

Posted: 4/7/2013 10:28:32 PM
ChrisC

I believe that the EW-Pro does not have a headphone amplifier per-say. It uses a low level signal inside the theremin, but adding a reasonable amplifier (say $1 maximum) was deemed too high a price on this low cost instrument, so it was left out...............

Fred.

Sarcasm of the highest order   : )

Posted: 4/7/2013 11:13:47 PM
RoyP

Thierry, thanks for the wee explanation. Sarah, the owner of the theremin set it up for me before giving me the headphones so I'm assuming that the volume was set at a sensible level for the purpose, or as close as it could be to a working level.

As for sarcasm of the highest order, well I would expect that an instrument as expensive as this would provide something more substantial in the way of improved specs over less expensive rivals: it is not beyond the realms of expectation that players playing this instrument might want to play or practice with only headphones. Indeed why provide a headphone facility if it is next to useless? For a few dollars more Moog would do themselves a big favour and make something that does what it says.

Posted: 4/7/2013 11:40:09 PM
coalport

There were several flaws in the Etherwave Pro theremin, but it was rushed to market before it was ready because Bob Moog was already ill with the glioma that was eventually to take his life. There are simple fixes available for all the things that would have been corrected under more normal circumstances, and it is a fine instrument in spite of its shortcomings.

Posted: 4/8/2013 6:04:50 AM
ChrisC

As for sarcasm of the highest order, well I would expect that an instrument as expensive as this would provide something more substantial in the way of improved specs over less expensive rivals: it is not beyond the realms of expectation that players playing this instrument might want to play or practice with only headphones. Indeed why provide a headphone facility if it is next to useless? For a few dollars more Moog would do themselves a big favour and make something that does what it says.

As in include a set of Sennheiser 600 Ohm headphones perhaps? Seems to me that yes, the EPro was an expensive piece of kit (and now due to market forces the cost is even higher still by a large magnitude so this headphone issue ain't doing the resale values any harm) but if YOU don't possess the correct 'optional' equipment to make it work as the designer intended, well who is at fault?

I agree the shortcomings of such an instrument should be sorted at production stage, but as Coalport says it was a rush to get it out there before Bob died. I mean, he really was the sole driving force behind Moog theremins and I think the rest of the group figured it was his 'toy' so humour him. That's why there is so little promotion (any?) done by Moog now.

Posted: 4/8/2013 11:16:25 AM
coalport

There was a time when theremins were all that Moog Music (alias Big Briar) made. Bob began as a young hobbyist with the theremin, and it was the theremin that inspired and propelled his later inventions. Although the Etherwave was a terrific success, none of his 'high end' theremins ever made money.

By the end of the 90's, Big Briar was in serious financial difficulty and it was the now-famous MOOGERFOOGER that saved the day (and the company).

Moog Music WAS Bob Moog. Now that he is gone, other than the name "Moog" the company bears no resemblance whatsoever to what it was when he was alive. It's probably being well run by business people who know what they're doing and are prepared to make better decisions than Bob did, but sadly the light has gone out.

Posted: 4/8/2013 12:11:16 PM
RoyP

I think if you look at my original post you will see that I did not say that it was a bad instrument: '...nice beastie it was as well...'

'but if YOU don't possess the correct 'optional' equipment to make it work as the designer intended, well who is at fault?'-ChrisC

I accept that now the Pro is in a state of non-developement as it was Bob Moog's baby never-the-less I would like to hazard a guess that I am not the first person to comment on this subject. Does anyone know if Moog include a note in the instruction manual (I'm making a gross assumption here that there is a manual) to the effect that Senheiser headphones will be needed for effective use of the headphone output?

You know, I'm not asking for the moon here but then again I don't have the cash to buy an Etherwave Pro anyway so that puts me in the category of not being able to comment on it apparently. Perhaps I should now retract my original comment that I thought it was a good machine.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.