Theremin Wanted

Posted: 5/28/2013 2:43:27 PM
arch996677

Hi,
I'm wanting to buy a used theremin. Preferably one of the Moog theremin's. Over the last 10 years it seems like every 6th months or so i've come across a Theremin video or something else which keeps inspiring me to find one of my own.
Hopefully I can find some guidance and suggestions on here.

Thanks,

Stephen

Posted: 6/3/2013 1:38:18 PM
bisem

Ebay is a good source.  Most of the Etherwaves on there are the Standard models and are brand new.  Be patient and you may run across a good used one for a decent price.  If you live in a large city try Craigslist, it would be a rare find but I have seen them posted.

Happy hunting!

Posted: 6/4/2013 12:49:32 PM
arch996677

Thanks Bisem,
I started to realize that people on this forum are into collecting/playing Theremin's not selling them. I found one person in my state selling a Theremin but he hasn't replied--likely sold. There aren't many auctions on ebay but I did bid on one--didn't make the reserve.
So, I think your right. Patients is the answer.

Posted: 6/4/2013 1:46:09 PM
arch996677

Bisem,

What do think is a good price for a standard Etherwave?

Posted: 6/4/2013 6:59:14 PM
bisem

Hey Arch,

I payed around $250 for my EW which I feel was fair since it was in excellent condition....It was an older theremin under the Big Brier name which was changed to Moog around 2002.   Most sellers will say "hardly ever used" which is probably an honest statement.   I think most people who acquire them don't become serious about playing and the novelty wears off quickly.  I would just make sure it looks good cosmetically also...though you can buy some sandpaper and spray paint for about $5 if the price is right...LOL!

I think a used Etherwave is a good way to go if you are serious about learning to play. The EW Plus is nice because of the pitch preview but you are going to pay around $500 and I have never seen one used.  The going price for a new EW standard seems to be $289 and includes shipping. Overall I think this is a fair price for what you are getting.

If you want a long winded essay about my theremin journey and my opinion of the EW you can check out the last post on the following link.   There is also a video of my Subscope theremin.

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/28826/has-anyone-here-played-a-pegna-theremin?Page=1

Brian ;^)

Posted: 6/5/2013 4:48:14 AM
arch996677

Brian,
I watched your video with the Subscope, nicely done and a beautiful instrument you have there. Like you suggested, I'm looking for a used EW because it will be a good place to start and if I don't find myself taking to the instrument I can hopefully resell it. The EW Plus looks really cool especially because I have some effects with CV option but I will wait on that. I think the $250-$300 range looks about right. I will keep on searching.

Thanks again for your comments,
Stephen

Posted: 6/6/2013 3:16:01 AM
bisem

There is a newly posted Moog on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Theremin-by-Moog-/251285746173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a81cc31fd

Posted: 6/7/2013 3:35:23 AM
arch996677

Thanks Brian. I just put the first bid on it. Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Posted: 6/7/2013 1:35:04 PM
bisem

Thanks Brian. I just put the first bid on it. Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Check out www.esnipe.com.   Set up an account, enter the auction number from ebay along with the maximum amount you are willing to spend on the item and it will automatically place the bid.   You can choose how many seconds before the end of the auction to place the bid.  I usually choose 3 seconds before the auction ends.  This way you don't have to be online with a trigger finger as the auction ends and you will be less tempted to spend more than you should to win.   Good luck! 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.