Elektra

Posted: 6/19/2013 1:16:52 AM
roguewave

"La critique est aisée, mais l'art est difficile".

-- Philippe Néricault

Posted: 6/19/2013 3:02:52 AM
Amethyste

La plupart des videos sont comme la merde. J'en mange, et digere, mais me laissent avec un mauvais gout dans la bouche!!

God, it's too late. I must go to bed!

Posted: 6/19/2013 7:53:22 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"There are others of us who do not subscribe to this sort of California hot-tub, feel-good philosophy"

" Believe it or not, we're having just as much fun criticizing the ELEKTRA video as you are praising it."

- Coalport  (who else ;-)

ROFLMAO!!   I love it ;-)

My problem is that damn Elektra tune got stuck in my head - what do they call it - a music "worm" or something ? ... I can usually clear them by playing Uriah Heep at full volume through my cans after downing enough alcohol to make me paralytic.. but this particular track has been difficult to shift.. its that annoying "hey mr Mooog mr Teremin" line that keeps coming back.. Aaarrggh!

So I am going to place a health warning above the video.

WRT the video and music itself, I didnt strongly dislike either - I only posteed it because I thought others might be interested due to its specific reference to the theremin in both the video and music.. not because (unlike most other videos I post here) I am a fan of Elektra.

Fred.

ps - I have absolutely no idea what is being said in French (I assume its French ;-) .. "La critique est aisée, mais l'art est difficile" tried to work it out and got "criticism of uncomfortable art is difficult" - but I am sure that must be wrong!

Posted: 6/19/2013 10:18:46 AM
coalport

People are getting uncomfortable so they are resorting to communication in haythen tongues!

Posted: 6/19/2013 11:03:41 AM
roguewave

Haythen tongues???

French is the language of diplomacy! And love... And still one of Canada's 2 official languages.

FredM: the closest translation would be: "Criticism is easy, art is difficult". The tune is indeed an "ear worm". Nothing wrong with that. I find it nice that people of the "younger generation" got interested in the theremin, did some research, and put together a video as a tribute to its inventor and to Robert Moog. 

As the old proverb says: "Preserve the old, but know the new".

Posted: 6/19/2013 11:37:47 AM
dewster

"Too bad the precision theremin solos in this video are not played on a theremin. I think there may be some real theremin on the track but it is played briefly, with no skill, and strictly for FX." - coalport

I hear what you mean.  For the parts that are obviously meant to evoke the Theremin the pitch is too precise and the vibrato too perfect, clearly a keyboard.  With what sounds like a bit of real Theremin tacked on to the end, but the graft point is too obvious due to timbre mismatch.

Posted: 6/19/2013 11:42:13 AM
roguewave

Hey, let's tell Bob Dylan that we can't hear a tambourine in "Mr Tambourine Man"...

Posted: 6/19/2013 2:41:30 PM
coalport

roguewave wrote: French is .... still one of Canada's 2 official languages.

Where I live, there is only ONE official language. FRENCH. 

Yep....you got it.....I live in La Belle Province.

While the country of Canada may have two official languages at the federal level, there is only one province that is officially bilingual - New Brunswick. All the others are officially English with the exception of Quebec which is strictly French. 

In Quebec, it is illegal to send an inter-office memo in the English language. There are also substantial fines for posting a sign in English only, or where the English lettering is more than one half the size of the letters used for French. Our current provincial government is separatist, and wants to leave the Confederation of Canada altogether and become an entirely separate, independent country.

Canada, at the time of confederation, almost had a third official language imposed upon it - Gaelic of all things! Many of the fathers of confederation were Scottish or Irish (with a couple of Welshmen thrown in for good measure) and their second language was Gaelic. There was a good deal of pressure to enshrine Gaelic as an official language. Fortunately, it never happened.

Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, remains one of the only places in the world (outside of the native Celtic lands of Europe) where Gaelic is still spoken and taught in the schools. 

Haythen tongues indeed!!

Posted: 6/19/2013 2:57:18 PM
AlKhwarizmi

Amethyste said: Oh brother... She is (as a person and her music) ABOMINABLE!

I think Ke$ha the public figure is not really Ke$ha the person, she's just a fictional character, an acted part. When I see her in interviews she doesn't strike me as a dumb person... she strikes me as an intelligent woman acting the role of being dumb. And I bet she perfectly knows that she is awful at the theremin (but probably most of her audience doesn't). 

It might be that I'm partial to blondes, though :)

Posted: 6/19/2013 3:24:06 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"The tune is indeed an "ear worm". - Roguewave

Ok - Is it just an "ear worm" in my brain, or did anyone else expierience it? ... Just wondering if "ear worms" can be "engineered" like computer worms or viruses.. Does our neurology have enough in common for this to happen, and for a large number of people to be infected by a tune which, even if not irritating at first, becomes irritating? -- If so, laws should be passed to ban them!

I have cleared it after much effort - but Every time I think about the song I must fight to suppress the worm - Found that spending the day playing all my Weather Report albums Loud on my Tannoys, one after the other, is a good surpressor.. Fortunately I have been alone in the house today..

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.