Theremin tech-support, anyone?

Posted: 6/29/2013 4:28:24 AM
leeyak

Hi, I'm new to theremins, and I'm new to electronics, but something compelled me to buy a Moog Etherwave Theremin kit, and now I need help! 
   I managed to assembly it correctly according to the manual. The soldering is all sound (I had help with it), and it looks just like the diagrams. However... 
   The problem is the pitch antenna. It doesn't respond to my hand. The volume antenna works, and I can manually tune the pitch from the motherboard and from the pitch knob on the front, but my hand does nothing. The straight antenna does nothing. 
Like I said, the connections look fine... but what on earth am I missing? I would really appreciate some help (dumbed down for beginners), or hear someone's similar story and solution. Thank you! 

Posted: 6/29/2013 3:22:56 PM
Chobbs

Since it appears that both pitch oscillators are working and you can get an audible tone, I suspect that it probably a bad or missing connection somewhere between the antenna and where it connects to the rest of the oscillator  circuit.  Check continuity.  Does the pitch change if you poke/touch the antenna coils?  If so,  the problem lies between coils and the antenna. if not- its between the coils and the variable osc. 

Check those antenna coils for continuity.  Sometimes the fine hair-like windings can get damaged by handling.

Posted: 6/29/2013 5:22:27 PM
leeyak

You were absolutely right! It turns out, the last coil was disconnected from the circuit. I didn't know what to look for last night so I never would have known. 
I pushed it back together, and touched the wires together, and it works! Do you think it would be safe to try to solder that connection? The wires are so tiny and delicate... 
Thank you very much for your help. I'm so glad a community like this exists. 

Posted: 6/29/2013 9:56:44 PM
Chobbs

It cant hurt to try and solder it.   if not a replacement part is only a few dollars.   Might be worth while to contact moog and see if they could send you a replacement as it was  likely damaged when you received it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.