Emotional while listening...

Posted: 4/22/2018 2:17:16 PM
tinkeringdude

Oh, race condition. I'll try that next time, now I pasted everything in an editor which strips off special characters and re-did the links. Not sure what went wrong the first timne, but I think it had to do with first clicking "reply with quote", and then deciding I didn't like the way the quoting looked and removing it with the delete key. Apparently omitting invisible magic characters.

Posted: 4/22/2018 5:49:33 PM
dewster

Thanks for those nice links!  But I fear opera is a acquired taste I may never completely acquire.  Orchestral stuff too.  I do like a good pipe organ and choir now and then, and more intimate strings like quartets and such are nice.  Operas and orchestras often strike me as bombastic.  And (my fault) I have this thing against overly trained voices.  I generally prefer female singers (and songwriters) as they tend to come across as more emotionally natural and open, males are IMO too often prone to forced, fakey vocal stylings that grate.  (Not all females nor males, of course, but it seems like a trend or tendency to me.)

"If it's a slow start (dynamics) into a note what you mean, then I'm not sure, as it depends on the music (what's written or customary to style) what a singer will do (unless they're indulging)."  - tinkeringdude

Here (link) is the piece backwards.  It starts out kind of strange, but there are sections that sound fairly natural to me if you can ignore the reversed background.  If nothing else it highlights how quick and pronounced her note endings are.

"Hehe, but only for so long! The short time that it is perceived as transitional, maybe, but our brains can apparently interpolate the center frequency if the supposed pitch has been roughly steady for a while, and if that center is off, it's off. Opera melody lines are, on average, a lot more stretched out in time* than pop singing, so, you can't hide for very long."

I know what you're saying, and I haven't researched this, but it's my feeling that vibrato makes exact pitch sensing much more difficult for us humans.

Reversed envelope and vibrato are ways I think to effectively mask pitch issues to some degree, though of course they are useful in other ways as seasoning techniques, so I'm not necessarily accusing anyone of anything nefarious, just making that observation.

Posted: 4/22/2018 6:44:37 PM
ILYA

a few years ago my kid expressed emotions on some song by this drawing

The song is tittled "the drunked sun".

Yesterday this song was performed on tv again, by another singer and in a slightly different interpretation:

https://youtu.be/23WyPLIKDG8

Posted: 6/30/2018 11:01:31 PM
dewster

So I encountered the group Expanding Man via a recommendation from somewhere ("if you like The Verve Pipe..." - and I do!).  Got their first two CDs, enjoyed them, discovered their third album Love and Disaster a few days ago, got that, and am currently very much enjoying it.  The tale of woe attached to it is they recorded the 3rd and their record company was bought out by another record company that didn't want to promo it, so it languished for years and the band broke up (GAA!  How many artists has the biz destroyed?).  It's a very nice blend of rather complicated chording, clear melodies, and guitar hooks, with Radiohead-ish sound here and there.  The last song Icicle is quite nice.

So I'm sitting here listening to it for the 30th or so time and it hits me that it sounds a lot like the one CD band Loveless, which featured the incomparable Jen Trynin on backing guitars and backing vocals.  Lo and behold, Dave Wanamaker is in both!  Go figure, small world, etc.  I'm shocked by this obscure intersection in my tiny (and what I fancy as borderline eclectic) music library.

Posted: 9/15/2018 10:05:13 PM
ILYA

this guy knows the secret of success....

Posted: 9/15/2018 11:18:35 PM
oldtemecula

I do not know what the words were but could feel the emotion. To see a black man in this light is a beautiful thing. I grew up in a city called Compton, California. Rosecrans and Long Beach Blvd. The culture in the 50’ and 60’s led us to believe there are us and then you people. This thinking gave us a fear of one another. Today I would cheerfully give up my place in heaven for you people.

Christopher

Hwy79.com

Posted: 9/16/2018 8:09:28 PM
ILYA

Chris,

as a child, we listened to Beatles, Deep Purple, and other Pb Zeppelins, not understanding the words. Only the melody, emotions and energy mattered.

As for the video (this Brooklyn guy learned Russian from Russian taxi drivers), now, I'm afraid, I'll been perform this song using his intonations and even the accent.

Posted: 12/12/2018 9:28:42 PM
ILYA

"is tittled "the drunked sun"."

For true connoisseurs of guitar... Found a superb guitar version of this song:

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.