Need a clip of a "real" thereminist.

Posted: 11/1/2013 12:31:52 PM
Koschmar

Hi Folks,

My name is Mark Koschwitz - a member of Theremin World, but honestly have not been much of a contributor to the site.

But anyway - I am starting a southern CT based show called Shoreline Music Monthly. It will profile various local musicians and musical happenings in the CT area. ("Like" us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ShorelineMusicMonthly )

The reason I'm here (in case you were starting to wonder) is there will be a recurring segment called Cabinet Of Curiosities that will feature an "out of mainstream" musical instrument each month.I have always been fascinated with strange musical instruments - which, in fact, led me to the theremin.

An upcoming episode will feature the theremin. Now I have one to demonstrate, and have an album track I've guested on as an example of what can be done with one, but the song is very heavy metal and my "playing" is more like a hammer pounding nails. 

I know that these wonderful instruments can sound beautiful in the right hands, and was wondering if any of you folks had a decent quality video (of yourself, because I would need permission from the video creator to air it) showing what the theremin is truly capable of that I could air (a 20-30 sec piece anyway) in the show.

Your name (or band name) could be up as playing, but as it a public access show, I could not direct traffic to a commercial website or such.

Please pass the word - I'd love to show the world (OK, a really small piece of it…though the show will be hung on the station's website, so would be viewable from pretty much anywhere) what this instrument can do.

Please contact me by email (or here) if interested.

Thanks,

Mark Koschwitz

ShorelineMusicMonthly@gmail.com

Posted: 11/1/2013 6:43:05 PM
coalport

Sorry..........just curious.....your headline says you need a clip of a "real" thereminist. I'm not quite certain what constitutes a "real" thereminist versus a "not real" thereminist. ????

Posted: 11/1/2013 10:16:22 PM
Koschmar

Well, I guess I meant that I wasn't a real thereminist, and was looking for someone that played it like a musical instrument rather than a blowtorch. 

I was looking to show the differing dynamics possible on the instrument.

Posted: 11/2/2013 1:17:07 AM
Jeff S

Oh...I don't know.  You might want to take a look at this guy...

copper leaves (AKA coalport/Peter Pringle)

Posted: 11/2/2013 5:54:32 AM
Amethyste

There are several "good" thereminists on the net... Mostly on the "Tube"

Posted: 11/2/2013 10:13:03 AM
Koschmar

Oh yes, I have seen many out there - my problem is I would need the authors permission to use the clip on TV.

I suppose I could attempt to contact folks through their Youtube account, but I hoped that by going right to a big pile of thereminists, one would agree to provide a clip of themselves.

My station has made it very clear - no "random" Youtube w/o written permission.

Posted: 11/2/2013 11:44:20 AM
gtc

Drop Thomas Grillo a line. He may be able to help you:

http://www.thomasgrillo.com/

Posted: 11/2/2013 12:12:53 PM
coalport

Hey! Cauchemar, wutcha got against blowtorches?

Posted: 11/2/2013 12:25:11 PM
Koschmar

Thanks gtc - email sent.

He seems kind of big for such a request, but perhaps he has a little love for the public access world.

Posted: 11/2/2013 4:14:10 PM
Koschmar

Thanks again gtc - he was very generous. Now I can show my audience another side to the coin!

Koalpuert - I have nothing against blowtorches……that's why I play like one ;)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.