Theremin tonight in Dutch TV show "join the beat"

Posted: 11/4/2013 7:10:56 PM
jurgen

Tonight (over about a half our) in the Dutch TV program: "join the beat", is a (t-vox tour?) theremin.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJe3qbiWs8 (0:21)

The TV program shows the making of a "song". The public can upload a sound what will be used to make a song.

I post a link when the program is viewable on the net.

(sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language)

Posted: 11/5/2013 3:46:01 AM
Jason

Thanks for the tip jurgen!  We also had a surge in traffic from Germany today.  It's great to see so much visibility for the theremin happening around the world! 

Posted: 11/5/2013 11:14:13 AM
gtc

Jurgen, your written English is quite understandable, so don't worry about that.

Posted: 11/5/2013 1:30:45 PM
jurgen

Thank you gtc.

The show is online: http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1377386
from 40:20 to 43:00 and on the end with other musicians.
I don't know if the link works outside The Netherlands relating to the broadcast rights.

The performer is Wilco Botermans.

I hope the theremin will be a more known instrument with this short performance on Dutch national television.

Posted: 11/5/2013 3:11:03 PM
ILYA

He is not performer, he is a "FX avant-gardiste and experimental player"!

It is regrettable every time  to observe  the reincarnation of the instrument into a tool of the jester.

Posted: 11/6/2013 12:24:25 AM
GordonC

FYI, Wilco also plays melodic theremin, as do many experimental thereminists (myself excluded) - for example, Pamelia Kurstin, who is a very fine classical thereminist, and the late Barbara Buchholz, and was taught by Lydia Kavina, who plays lovely experimental theremin as well as the classical playing she is better known for.

I understand that you have no appreciation of experimental music, so as someone who does, I will tell you that Wilco is in earnest when he performs, and what he does, he does very well.

I find it regrettable when people denigrate musical forms which do not happen to be to their personal taste, or describe a friend of mine in an insulting way.

Posted: 11/6/2013 1:12:07 AM
coalport

All else aside, since when is an FX avant-gardiste and experimental thereminist NOT a performer???? It would seem to me that the type of music that is being played has nothing to do with whether or not the person on stage is a "performer".

And Gordon, while we're on the subject, you seem to make a distinction between "melodic" theremin playing and "avant-garde and experimental playing". Are you suggesting that there is no melody in the latter musical form? The definition of melody as "a linear succession of musical notes" does not seem to draw the same distinctions as you in regard to what constitutes melody.

Posted: 11/6/2013 2:04:24 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"the reincarnation of the instrument into a tool of the jester" - Ilya

"Reincarnation" ?!

Are you saying that the theremin DIED and has been "reincarnated" ?

Perhaps you are right! .. But I am almost certain that musically Wilco is no jester..  anyway, there is no "shame" in being a jester IMO.

"The definition of melody as "a linear succession of musical notes"" - Coalport

Doesnt any argument here hinge on how one defines "musical" ? .. It would seem to me that in order for the above definition to be complete, one would need to define all three words - "succession" "musical" and "notes" and even "linear "..

LOL ;-) .. I doubt there is any chance of agreement on even two of these words, certainly not three!

Fred.

<< having just found the tiny theremin snippet in the video, I am completely shocked - How can ANYONE make ANY kind of judgment on a musicians ability or character or genre or ANYTHING based on that ???   Berating Wilco cannot be based on his performance - Something else is going on here, and IMO its needlessly unpleasant>>

Posted: 11/6/2013 7:00:24 AM
Thierry

Here is a video where Wilco plays the lead voice of a barbershop music theremin quartet. The other players are Meike Degand (left side behind), a German amateur thereminist, Wolfgang Streblow (right side front), the director of the Lippstadt music school who organizes the biannual "Without Touch" theremin festival, and myself (left side front).

While I had worked for a longer time with this ensemble to set up this a capella piece, Wilco jumped in to replace another player who fell sick. And I must say that it was a pleasure to see how Wilco did his playing after only two rehearsals and he integrated well the small group.

http://youtu.be/oCU8SzgQax0

Posted: 11/6/2013 7:57:24 AM
GordonC

You are quite correct, Coalport - the term "melodic" implies a false distinction. Like so many things which are, in reality, a continuum, it is difficult to indicate one particular area of music without oversimplifying the situation into an arbitrary division that does not stand up to scrutiny. Nonetheless, I think people are able to understand the gist of what I said, so let us not quibble over nomenclature. :-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.