Can anyone identify this Theremin?

Posted: 12/7/2013 4:29:35 AM
krellmusician

I picked this up at a music store in Vestal, NY on Small Business Saturday.  It superficially resembles a knockoff of an old Moog Troubadour with somewhat less craftsmanship and style, but the guts are very different from any pictures I've seen of the Troubadour circuitry.  When I purchased it I thought I'd need to do some work to get it functional, but upon setting it up and letting it warm up, I find the pitch antenna to have a range adjustable between 18" and 42", and the volume plate adjustments to yield a range between 1" (full off) and 5" (full on) with smooth attenuation (and some coloration) in-between.

Before I do any work (restorative and/or custom) on it, I'd like to know just what it is I've found.  Has anyone in the big, wide Theremin world seen anything similar, and do you know what the pedigree of this beast is?

I'm not sure if the images below will be completely visible or scrollable; I may have to resize and repost.  Please be patient.  (N.B., if you right-click and open in a new tab or window, you can see each complete image.)

Thanks for your time.

Theremin with pitch antenna detached 

Theremin front panel controls

Theremin volume antenna plate

Theremin gut shot

Posted: 12/7/2013 2:46:31 PM
Chobbs

Looks like it could be a home built-instrument, either from a Moog kit or a 'how to' article.  The PCB leads me to suspect kit.

Posted: 12/7/2013 3:13:32 PM
dewster

High quality variable capacitors and coils - those were the days.  I think I'd locate the power transformer elsewhere though.

Posted: 12/7/2013 4:09:05 PM
Chobbs

just for fun, can you post a photo of the 'back-side'  the pcb?   By back side, I mean top, where all the components are mounted

Posted: 12/7/2013 6:56:25 PM
krellmusician

Chobbs, here you go ...

Dewster, where would you place the power transformer?  Since this doesn't seem to be much more than a kit (my guess as well), I feel no pressing need to keep it "stock".  Anything that improves the performance, reliability and/or appearance is open to discussion and modification.  Thanks for your time.

Posted: 12/7/2013 7:04:28 PM
krellmusician

I also want to make the power cord removable, and thought of installing an IEC C14 three-pronged jack (like you find on computers) on the base plate; this would also give me a solid connection between the instrument and ground.  Am I inviting trouble by doing this?  Should I stick with a two-pronged plug?

Posted: 12/7/2013 7:39:59 PM
Chobbs

Others may disagree, but I would leave it stock- especially if it is working.(.... well fix the lousy electric tap job and any other half-assed amateur work)   I think that you will be inviting trouble by messing with the power supply- it was designed for 2-prongs... and while it is just a kit, it is still an early Moog and has inherent value as a collectable/ artifact.   You dont want to be like the dude who made these improvements to his RCA: 

the original post w/ photos has been deleted, but it had been hacked to hell, probably in the mid 50's.

Posted: 12/7/2013 8:00:10 PM
dewster

Oops, sorry, I was just thinking out loud in new design mode.  I agree with the advice Chobbs is giving you.

Posted: 12/7/2013 8:15:42 PM
RS Theremin

Hello Krell who lives in Hell's Quarter,

I second Chobbs opinion, leave it as stock as possible as that is the value. As I look inside I would not be surprised that it has real thermal drift issues. We all start somewhere and modern designers would not want anything inside a modern enclosure of a solid state analog theremin that generates heat. Transformer, regulators, etc. In this particular design I think I see germanium transistors. Guitarist spend big bucks for germanium, they believe mystical power can be found. Who am I to question where mystical comes from.

Christopher

Posted: 12/7/2013 10:29:09 PM
krellmusician

The weight of public opinion (well, expressed opinion, anyway) seems to be on the side of keeping this device as close to its original status as possible; who am I to disagree?  Okay, I'll limit what I do to reversing some of the changes the builder or a previous owner made (the badly remounted mic stand adapter, repositioning the RCA jack and the AC cord, etc.) and to improving the appearance (new textured black paint on the base plate, refinishing the wooden cover as necessary, etc.).  Thanks for your input; please keep it coming.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.