is this thing on?

Posted: 12/8/2013 12:23:01 AM
inkybrown

Hi everybody, I just received my Moog Etherwave standard Cherry edition. I have been reading this forum for a while and it helped me decide on the Moog, as well as my chosen amp the Behringer K450X instead of the Moog amp which as I understand isn't the best sounding one. ;)

Well, I have connected everything right, I believe, but I can't get a sound out of the thing. As I have no other electronic instruments I don't have a way to test the amp. I don't know if the Moog is even getting power because it doesn't seem to have a power light! I hope there is nothing wrong with it, I did notice when I took it out of the shipping box that there was something rattling around inside, when I tilted the instrument a couple of times the sound went away though. Very weird. 

I have the power supply connected to the Moog, and I think it's plugged all the way in. I have a Planet Waves instrument cable into the other side of the Moog where the controls are, and it's plugged into Line 2 on the amp, and the volume on the Moog is turned up and the volume on Line 2 of the amp is turned up. And yes, the amp is on. I don't know what else to do. Can any kind soul give me some advice? I really wanted to hear my new baby! I am a newcomer to electronic instruments, all I play are classical keyboards like pianos, harpsichords, and organs.

Thanks!

Posted: 12/8/2013 12:33:57 AM
inkybrown

D'oh! There's this thing called "Master Level" on the amp. Which wasn't turned up.

Hi, I'm Amy and I'm an electronic instrument newbie.

Posted: 12/8/2013 12:35:23 AM
RS Theremin

The volume loop cannot be near anything, this problem sometimes happen when it is placed on a table. Mount it on a microphone stand if not already.

I just love Texas, have a kiss'en cousin there back when I was twelve, we went to Six Flags in the early 60's.

Oh to be young again when everything was magical, the first experiences that all others will be measured by.

Christopher

Posted: 12/8/2013 1:02:45 AM
Amethyste

Hi Amy!

I have the same Amp as you do! Welcome to the Community, you are going to have a lot of fun! :)

Posted: 12/8/2013 1:05:36 AM
inkybrown

Thanks guys! Yes, I have it on a mic stand.

Also, it came with a little matching stick with what seems to be a hard bristle on the end, is that for cleaning the instrument? What am I supposed to clean?

I have a new problem, the thing is driving my dogs crazy! Anyone have a solution for that? :D

Posted: 12/8/2013 5:31:49 AM
Amethyste

Are you talking about a tuning key? 

And as for the dogs, when you learn to play a little more in pitch, the dogs will most likely calm down lol. :) Drove my cats crazy at first, but now, they come and lay by me when I play :)

Posted: 12/8/2013 9:34:08 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Inky,

"I have a new problem, the thing is driving my dogs crazy!"

It could just be what Amey says (that probably depends on your dogs musical tastes etc ;-)..

But it might be that there is some audio frequency being produced that you are incapable of hearing, but drives your dogs nuts.

I would try to determine this - but its not that easy without some technical understanding.. you need to record the theremin to a PC, and run a spectrum analysis on the recording - this way you can see if there are frequencies above say 15kHz that you cant hear (or at least not at a level which bothers you) but might be torture for the dogs.

Also, you could try turning off things like flouresent (Eco) lamps and anything not essential, and see if the dogs are happier - Sometimes radiated signals from these can beat with theremin frequencies to produce ultrasonic tones.

Or it could just be nothing like that and nothing to do with your playing - they may just not like the sound produced by the EW.. There are some creatures, even some humans, who find some of the EW tone setting highly irritating after a few minutes - you could try adjusting it for the mellowest tone and see if this helps!

Lastly, headphones can solve a lot of problems (particularly with bitches ! ;-) - but just be sure to keep any leads away fron the antennas (have a long extension lead to the headphones, so that it can drop down straight from your head to the floor, and run along the floor to your amp or theremin - You dont want a headphone lead dangling at 45 degrees between yourself and the theremin! - straight down, any spare cable bundled or looped near your feet, then straight a along the floor to your amp or theremin, and straight up to the socket.)

Fred.

Posted: 12/8/2013 8:51:17 PM
GordonC

Welcome to Theremin World, Amy.

"Also, it came with a little matching stick with what seems to be a hard bristle on the end, is that for cleaning the instrument? What am I supposed to clean?"

Do you mean the Plastic Trimpot Alignment Tool?

Plastic Trimpot Alignment Tool

You will need that if and when you need to tweak some of the internal settings to make your etherwave behave properly again. I suggest you open up your etherwave (four screws - to at the front and two at the back, then the top lifts off) and gaffer tape the PTAT to the underside of the top, so it will be where you want it when you need it.

It is not compulsory to sing The Plastic Trimpot Alignment Tool song whilst doing this, but you may choose to.

Fix your theremin, that's so cool
When you lose it, feel like a fool

Posted: 12/10/2013 11:22:01 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

LoL Gordon - Reading those lyrics and putting a tune to them in my head (something that just happened - I never tried to do it) I ended up creating an ear-worm.. Exceot its not really an ear-worm cause ive never actually heard it (ears werent involved)..

So thats my excuse for pounding my brains (via my ears) all day long today with the sort of music you produce - I have discovered that your music is an efficient ear-worm flush!

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.