Theremin and amplifiers- tech question

Posted: 1/2/2014 4:48:23 AM
Santana157

I am a guitarist.  I have about 10 nice tube amps that I could use with a theremin.  But, I am realizing that they all seem to have line level outputs.  The guitar amps are voiced for instrument level. I am assuming that the theremin won't sound that great connected to these amps.  There is no way I am buying an amp just for the theremin when I have so many already.

Are all theremins built this way or can you buy them with instrument level outputs?  I thought the burns B3 was instrument level according to their site, but now I don't think it is.

Ebtech makes a converter, and there are several DI boxes designed for re-amping that should work, but that adds another $100 or so to my theremin purchase.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks.

Posted: 1/2/2014 10:36:02 PM
Chobbs

HI,

You could just keep the amp levels lower, but if you're feeling crafty, one can easily make a simple passive attenuator to reduce the signal.   All the parts can be found at your local radio shack for a few bucks.  This circuit could also be built into the theremin, if you want a more permanent solution.

Posted: 1/4/2014 2:04:10 AM
Jason

I use something like this to attenuate the signal.  Your local music store will likely have a few choices.  Just make sure you get one with a 1/4" output, as many only have XLR outputs.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PDC22-Instrument-Balanced-Unbalanced/dp/B00356J8KE/ref=pd_cp_MI_3

Posted: 1/6/2014 6:17:45 PM
Santana157

Thanks.  That Pyle proI looks like it's exactly what I need.  $15 sounds better than the $100 boxes I was looking at.    I'm surprised this isn't a more popular topic.  I would think plugging straight in to an instrument level amp would sound horrible.  Like an iPod into a guitar amp. It seems like a lot of people are doing that, though.  Maybe some of the thereminsaware equipped for this, I can't tell from their descriptions on websites.  I have not found much technical data supplied on these items.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.