Everybody groan, I'm here now :)

Posted: 1/21/2014 8:21:21 PM
TheGeek

Well after some time lurking around the internet, I have jumped in and will start a Theremin. This is far more insane than it sounds because I haven't played any instrument since high school, and that was more decades ago than I want to remember.

All being said though, I have been enthralled by the theremin for many yeas and now have some time to dedicate to the design and construction, as well as learn along the way, so brace yourself for many a question.

:)

Posted: 1/21/2014 8:49:34 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hello Mr Geek ;-)

Doesnt feel right to call you "TheGeek" (perhaps you could tell us your name ;-) because there are probably quite a lot of us Geeks here.. As for "decades since high school" lets just say you are certainly not alone there! ;-) .. I note you say in your bio: "A senior student trying to keep sane :)" - Perhaps this is your biggest mistake - IMO, "sanity" isnt all its cracked up to be!  But recognising yourself as a "student" is an indicator of sanity, IMO!

" I have been enthralled by the theremin for many yeas and now have some time to dedicate to the design and construction, as well as learn along the way, so brace yourself for many a question."

If by "design" you are talking about actual circuit design, I assume you have some understanding of electronics.. By this, I mean that you understand in essence what resistance, capacitance, inductance etc are, and have some understanding of active components .. If not, you really need to get this before you even think of "design" unless by design you are talikng about aesthetics (cabinet etc).

If you have the above basic core understandings, and have questions about theremin related issues, then there are several people here who can certainly help to demystify things - Even a fully trained and competent design engineer can get tripped up on theremin complexities, and expierience of the realities and issues related to theremins, or feedback from those with this (not only engineers but also musicians) is IMO essential for any worth-the-effort design to become an instrument.

Being a Geek here is fine IMO.. But hell - get a more positive attitude about yourself! - Mo need for a sad face or any groans! - or at least, not yet! ... When you have spent 6 years and bancrupted yourself for the theremin, thens the time to groan!

;-)

Fred.

IMO, this is a comprehensive set of tutorials on electronics available free:

http://jacquesricher.com/NEETS/

I dont like that its Navy, but the focus is general..

Posted: 1/21/2014 10:07:49 PM
TheGeek

Hi Fred, yes I have some electronics knowledge, but will need to fine tune it. My intent in design is not to reinvent the wheel, but to add some personal touches.

Posted: 1/21/2014 10:52:24 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Hi Fred, yes I have some electronics knowledge, but will need to fine tune it. My intent in design is not to reinvent the wheel, but to add some personal touches." - keeGehT

Sounds  sane to me! ;-) I am sure your journey will be interesting to all of us, and we wont be groaning under the weight!

;-)

Fred.

Posted: 1/22/2014 12:20:07 AM
coalport

I once had the pleasure of playing the theremin with the Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra under the more-than-capable baton of its conductor, David Bowser.

Posted: 1/22/2014 4:46:15 AM
FredM

"I once had the pleasure of playing the theremin with the Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra under the more-than-capable baton of its conductor, David Bowser." - Coalport

Are there any videos or recordings of this? - I am particularly interested in the theremin's use in this context (playing in an orchestra) - Only seen a couple of such performances where the theremins role was quite questionable..

Fred.

Posted: 1/22/2014 3:23:40 PM
TheGeek

I once had the pleasure of playing the theremin with the Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra under the more-than-capable baton of its conductor, David Bowser.

Sorry I missed that, maybe sometime there will be a repeat performance. :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.