Moog Theremini!

Posted: 2/3/2015 3:27:16 PM
dewster

Things I learned from that video:

- The awkward Theremini UI is really awkward for a lefty.

- There seems to be an unwritten rule that NAMM videos have shaky video and muffled audio.

Posted: 2/3/2015 4:08:42 PM
RoyP

- There seems to be an unwritten rule that NAMM videos have shaky video and muffled audio.' - dewster

Aye, and every demonstration I've ever seen of the Theremini at NAMM seems to be at THAT same corner :-)

Posted: 2/4/2015 12:33:36 AM
xtheremin8

- There seems to be an unwritten rule that NAMM videos have shaky video and muffled audio.' - dewster

Aye, and every demonstration I've ever seen of the Theremini at NAMM seems to be at THAT same corner :-)

Then you sure (don't) want to see what happened last year at the other corner.: must be jinxed or something. very convincing one.

Posted: 2/4/2015 1:40:18 AM
oldtemecula

xtheremin8 you are like the funniest person here these day, never lose the child like wonder you have. Now for that video what I found interesting is that many people passed and no one cared.

The performer showed a tune could not be played, just plenty of digital sounds. )-'

There was a time when people witnessing a theremin performance would pass-out not understanding what was happening. For a few of us the instrument must remain sacred not revealing or cheapening the magic.

Christopher

Posted: 2/4/2015 2:04:39 AM
Amethyste

Christopher... you are maing me laugh... in a good way :)

Posted: 2/4/2015 4:39:38 AM
xtheremin8

christopher, i also feel a bit sorry for him, i really do.  performances like that always have something desperate. working for moogies farm must be tough sometimes. i hope it's not taken as a hit against the shin, whoever he might be.my sense of humour? frankly, can't explain what forces make me posting here sometimes. pure (over?)enthusiasm on the subject maybe. my english is still like action painting and the grammar is so influenced by my own. sometimes. i think i did not even introduced myself properly in this forum. fact: i still have a giggle when i even think about the whole " we smell sausage" part in that devo video. great gear-room btw.

dewster: takes a while to spot the Paia. 

christopher, i wish i could see what kind of magic you can see inside a theremin. the most sorry, esoteric aspect i could come up with, is the kind of natural forces one is interferred with when it comes to electro-magnetism. it's a occult (because hidden) thing anyway to most of us amateurs. but i share, that the different kind of electronic parts a huge influence are on the sound. like your pitch tube theremin. (on the rca website is a nice looking pitch only theremin(without tubes) that shows how much/less parts it could take to build one. with the  knowledge behind. me too stupid for this. what i saw about magic on theremins so far, happened mostly always outside, by the player and /or the listener. 

{my so called cheapomins, (like jaycar, paia, even open) never took the courage off me towards trying to handle them, using it musically, nor did any stop me to get a better one.} i think a good pitch only theremin would make a fine first theremin? anyway, each theremin i have  has a different basic color of sound. some i like and some...well, the theremini is midified and therefore a bit usefull as a midi-synth with gestural controllable functions for the stuff we do right now..still wish it was better solved for wavetable access and about dozens of other things i wished where done ..awkward....my sense of music starts somewhere in a low range, bumps through different offs inbetween and ends where my tinitus starts. ;-) 

sorry, completely  forgot to push that blue post button.

Posted: 2/4/2015 6:30:46 AM
oldtemecula

xther said: christopher, i wish i could see what kind of magic you can see inside a theremin. the most sorry, esoteric aspect i could come up with, is the kind of natural forces one is interferred with when it comes to electro-magnetism. it's a occult (because hidden) thing anyway to most of us amateurs.

Anyone that gets into original theremin design and demonstrates results must chuck it up to possession, good or bad.

In another week or so I will demonstrate how an EWS can be merged with a vacuum tube for "the sound". Now I need to find some hobbyist entrepreneurs here in the States that want to be part of this marriage. I have nothing to sell but they can make some $$$ doing the crossover for people.

Let's see how this develops, for now anything I say is just ass gas! (-'

Christopher

Posted: 2/4/2015 1:41:35 PM
Gary Honis

Things I learned from that video:

- The awkward Theremini UI is really awkward for a lefty.

The Theremini Editor software for Mac and Windows could be used to control the Theremini from the back side with a USB connection for left handed players.  I notice that the Editor software that has been beta tested has not yet been released by Moog.

Gary Honis

Posted: 2/4/2015 6:12:59 PM
dewster

Moog Inc. introduces the new Therelefti, a Theremini for southpaws!

(i.e. same old Theremini + PC editing software (release date TBD).  Laptop and whatever means to support it whilst hanging off the back not included.)

Posted: 2/5/2015 12:09:44 PM
xtheremin8

More Thereleftover.

That 'dongle' kept me off tracks for too long.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.