My Theremin Motto du Jour

Posted: 4/24/2014 10:44:08 PM
RSchwim

Once again without feeling

Posted: 4/26/2014 4:54:02 AM
Amethyste

I bet that Erimre dude will post all of that fake passport crap on every single subcategories tomorrow...

Posted: 4/26/2014 6:02:00 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"And I couldn't see the point of Shakespeare at all. " - erimre

Nor could I ;-)

LOL

"The nose is a knock-down negotiating instrument." - erimre

As in, punch you in the nose and you might be persuaded to stop posting this crap ?

Yeah, I know - ive lost it! - Talking to a spam generator.....  :-(

Posted: 4/26/2014 1:13:09 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Sorry, Rshwim -

Your motto seems to have got bumped aside by a spam generator.. Alas, I failed to notice your post, so never got to look for a "motto" in the gibberish - Wouldnt surprise me if the perfect one had been embedded there and we never even noticed!

;-)

Fred.

"Don't be so touchy"

"Give it some personal space"

"Don't stand, Don't stand, Don't stand so close to me!"

Posted: 4/26/2014 3:02:53 PM
dewster

Take it from the bottom.

Posted: 4/26/2014 3:13:28 PM
RSchwim

Yeah, I know - ive lost it! - Talking to a spam generator.....  :-(

Check this generator out... for all your contemporary classical funding needs... It's very funny http://www.dominicirving.com/cccbsg/

Posted: 4/26/2014 3:30:31 PM
FredM

LOL ;-)

That is FUNNY ! - Hell, we need one of those for TW's Construction and theory forums - It would make me redundant!

;-)

Posted: 4/26/2014 4:28:32 PM
dewster

I find it perversely entertaining that the IEEE got nailed repeatedly by a gibberish generator: 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/02/27/how_nonsense_papers_ended_up_in_respected_scientific_journals.html

This test of trying to differentiate fake from real is a lot of fun (I scored "better than a monkey").

Posted: 4/26/2014 6:29:32 PM
FredM

So, being inferior to a monkey, I never saw the multiple choice aspect - figured if I clicked on the "is this one right" I was indicating O thought it was, and if I clicked elsewhere, I was saying it wasn't.. but I always clicked the same (left hand) question - and I scored "undergraduate"..

Then I realized my folly, and did it correctly - and scored better than a monkey - but probably not by much! ;-)

So, if by clicking "yes" on all, I get "undergrad" then it would seem to me that the real challenge is to score less well than a monkey!

;-)

Posted: 4/27/2014 12:53:21 PM
FredM

"I find it perversely entertaining that the IEEE got nailed repeatedly by a gibberish generator: " - Dewster

That is a really interesting (and worrying) article.. Hundreds of "scientific" papers published by reputable journals, cited by other papers, but all being complete algorithmically generated  bullshit !

And dont forget - If one is doing serious research, and following citations, you are going to pay a lot of money to access these bullshit papers...

IMO, this shows that the whole system has collapsed - papers submitted to journals are not being vetted by humans, and its all got so complicated that we cannot tell bullshit from real science anymore - assuming that if we dont understand something, its because we we lack the required expertise..

Its hellishly difficult to get genuine science published (or at least it was in the 80's - 90's when I was involved in this) - So many 'technical' requirements to be met - Its no wonder that computer "assistance" is used to get through these hoops - But its a shock to me that its been taken to a level where software is able to generate a whole meaningless bullshit paper and get this through the process to publication - it shows that the journals have no interest in the substance, and are only interested in the form.

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.