Very New To The Theremin ~ Want One BAD!

Posted: 5/9/2014 9:32:05 AM
Rokitman

Hello theremin enthusiasts,

I've just recently discovered this amazing instrument and would really like one of my own. I play several instruments and I'm always looking for something unique to play. And it doesn't get much more unique than a theremin.

I'd like some advice on the purchase of one ~ or possibly building one myself. A decent, affordable entry level model with enough features to make it interesting without breaking the bank.

This will be my first theremin, so if it turns out I'm no good at it or don't enjoy it, I don't want to regret my purchase. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you,

- Dean -

Posted: 5/9/2014 3:41:01 PM
RS Theremin

Hello Rokitman,

I look up to you, not a bird or a plane...

How can anyone give you advice if they do not know where you are coming from or where you want to end up? Are you more an enthusiast of music or electronic construction? Different parts of the globe revere the theremin for different reasons. Some think they can make lots of money, some think they will become a theremin master, some keep everything they know secret and some just talk loud and never demonstrate anything that works, others have the delusion they are an authority on the subject.

I am all of the above, there is no one authority on theremins so gather everyone’s opinion cautiously. And remember everyone is an expert! 0-‘

If cost is an issue buy a used EtherWave Standard about $200. If it does not work out for you, resale it for what you bought it for with no financial loss. You cannot do better than that, you may even make a profit. (-'

Christopher

Posted: 5/9/2014 7:12:34 PM
RS Theremin

This spam message originated from the Chicago area as did most of the others, I have retrieved a phone number that will probably work, should we call him? His buddies are in the New York area. Only the naïve think everything you do on the internet is private.

We will be trying out our new quantum computer to solve this simple message using Shor's algorithm.

Their IP Address = 128.135.100.106  That is like having their drivers license number but better.

Let's see, if he posts again we call him or a local member could pay him a visit!

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."

Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone

Posted: 5/9/2014 9:39:18 PM
Rokitman

Good point Christopher.

I'm a huge music lover. Not just a listener, I like to play and perform too. Of course I'm a huge karaoke whore, that goes without saying. But I also play the piano and the baritone ukulele. I'm not interested in making money or becoming a profession thereminist. This will be just for my own entertainment.

I'm fascinated by the sound of the theremin and would really love to learn to play one. I've seen so many videos and the sound it produces is haunting. I'm also very interested in alternative types of music. And to be able to learn a new medium without the requirement of expensive and lengthy lessons is a plus too.

I'll definately look into the EthgerWave. This is about the price range I'm considering. So this is definitely within my budget. Minus the cost of an amp, of course.

Thanx for the input.

- Dean -

Posted: 5/9/2014 9:46:03 PM
Rokitman

P.S.

And I don't know if this is an option, but I am left-handed. Meaning my left hand is much more responsive and better suited for the pitch antenna than the volume. Is there such a thing as a left-handed theremin? Or can a standard theremin be reconfigured to have the antennas switched?

- Dean -

Posted: 5/9/2014 10:03:54 PM
Amethyste

Hello Dean ~

I am a left handed thereminist (many are as well) and my theremins have been custom made for that. If you get an etherwave, you can simply turn it "around" so that it is the right orientation for you. It might take a little extra longer for you to get knob adjusting when they are not facing you... But it is all possible! 

Hopefully, Thierry, Fred or other knowledgeable people will be able to answer you when it comes to the antenna switching.

I started playing 3 years ago and I absolutely love it. I hope you do too :) 

Posted: 5/9/2014 11:08:32 PM
Rokitman

I think turning the instrument 180 degrees is a much better solution than reconfiguring the antenna's. I love to fiddle with things, but I'm no electrician. So getting used to the controls on the other side will just have to be part of the learning curve.

Posted: 5/9/2014 11:46:25 PM
RS Theremin

Hello Rokitman,

The reason it is wise to indicate where you are located is that most people feel a connection to someone in their own area. You have the enthusiasm I like to see in someone new. If you lived in my town I would buy you that EtherWave Standard because I would want to promote your journey. You most likely are unable to build my design which is the finest tube version ever conceived. A few people in this group are aware that I buy theremins for people because the instrument is truly a gift to those that can learn to play it.

I will assume you are in the UK.

Christopher

Posted: 5/10/2014 12:10:50 AM
Rokitman

No Christopher. I live in the U.S. Kentucky to be precise. And I greatly appreciate your generosity in purchasing theremins for others. Very generous indeed. And what a thrill to the recipients.

I'm doing a lot of research now to find a good deal. If I can get a used model for around $200. I would be thrilled. Seems this particular instrument is not necessarily an inexpensive one. But then again, If I do this, I don't want some cheap piece of crap. I feel a quality instrument will provide the unique sound that will hold my interest.

I'm looking at the Etherwave standard you suggested above. I can't seem to find many in my price range around here. But I also noticed the Burns B3 on this sight. It doesn't have the waveform and brightness controls that the EW has, but I think I can add all the affects I need with a simple amplifier. I love the sound of the B3 also.

Posted: 5/10/2014 12:42:56 AM
RS Theremin

Hello Dean,

Kentucky, now we have a connection. My wife was born in Louisville and she was a fine lady.

The finest Thereminist today and he knows it,  I think ruins it for everyone else... or does he?

Theremin prodigies are maybe one in a billion. Observe this young high school Thereminist in France, you experience these people maybe once in a lifetime. Thank goodness for the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQqY2GeMa7Y  The volume is a bit low so turn it up!

He is playing an EtherWave Standard which can be made to sound better than the way they come stock.

Christopher

Craig's List is the best place to find one, you want a later version. I have picked them up for $200 which included the little Moog amp with a mic stand. The buyer has the leverage not the seller these days.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.