The Burns B3 Deluxe & Pitch Preview

Posted: 5/18/2014 3:32:30 PM
Rokitman

Boo Yaa,

Well, it looks like I'll be getting my first theremin very soon. Found an eBay ad selling a LIKE NEW Burns B3 Deluxe for $175. She lives local, so no shipping. And I have a question for those of you familiar with the B3.

The seller hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I wanted to ask about the pitch preview I see so many thereminists using. Is this option available on the B3 or is this something I will have to buy/install myself.

Thank you for your time,

- Dean -

Posted: 5/19/2014 11:37:59 AM
Amethyste

I would email Mr. Burns an ask him :) He's very nice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boo Yaa,

Well, it looks like I'll be getting my first theremin very soon. Found an eBay ad selling a LIKE NEW Burns B3 Deluxe for $175. She lives local, so no shipping. And I have a question for those of you familiar with the B3.

The seller hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I wanted to ask about the pitch preview I see so many thereminists using. Is this option available on the B3 or is this something I will have to buy/install myself.

Thank you for your time,

- Dean -

Posted: 5/19/2014 7:37:34 PM
Rokitman

Thank you kindly ma'am. I will do just that. :)

Posted: 5/20/2014 2:33:02 PM
bisem

Wow!  That's a great price for the Deluxe....congratulations on the rare find!  

As far a pitch preview you can get by without it.  Personally I don't use it because I don't like one ear being occupied with that buzzing noise and prefer to focus my attention to playing on pitch....LOL!  If you can mount your speaker or amplifier about head level behind you try finding the pitch by "phishing" or as Thomas Grillo prefers to call it "pitch identification".  Hunt for your note at a low volume that you can hear and that your audience probably won't notice.  Eventually I am sure there is a way to Jerry rig a pitch preview but I would just focus on having fun playing for now.  

Enjoy!

Posted: 5/20/2014 3:59:26 PM
Amethyste

Everyone has their preferences. I actually *need* one because I am 90% deaf in my right ear and it helps me "even things out" when I play. Also when you play a lot, having one helps you to not pitch fish. All of my venues are pretty simple and "quiet" so I don't need to blast the preview volume in my ear *not that it would matter anyway haha*, I'd rather have a pitch preview than log in extra speakers and such ... It's a give or take type of thing ~ what *you* feel comfortable with. The thing is, you can start playing now and only worry about this much later, whne you know that the theremin is what you want to pursue.

Posted: 5/20/2014 9:47:55 PM
Rokitman

Thank you both for the advice. I think you're right. I'm probably putting the cart before the horse here. I'm worried about using a pitch preview before I've even set hands on my first theremin. Or NOT set hands on it, I guess.

I did though send an email to Mr. Burns about this ~ thank you Amey ~ and he is willing to send me a wiring diagram on how to solder this up to include a pitch preview, should I decide I need one. I'll be leaving that job in the hands of my brother who is very good at all things electric.

I think for now, I'll just concentrate on getting the damn thing at the house and try to make something other than sound effects. I was also able to acquire a mic stand today. Doesn't this model have a recessed mic stand attachment underneath?

Everything is coming together nicely. At this rate, I should be making the cat screech with discomfort in no time.

Thank you again,

- Dean -

Posted: 5/21/2014 1:26:27 AM
bisem

Dean,

The B3 Pro does have a recessed hole underneath that will fit perfectly over a standard mic stand thread without having to screw anything in.  It simply slips on quite snugly which is another nice feature of this theremin.  Also it is really cool that you got a wiring diagram from Mr. Burns.  I broke the antenna on my B3 last year and he sent me a new one for free....really nice guy!

As far as pitch preview I can now see why it would be beneficial to Amethyste after her explanation.  If I was going to play an important venue I would certainly take a week to get used to it.  For the friends and informal concerts I always have someone ask how I know where to start playing since they don't notice my phishing technique.  I see many thereminists use pitch preview including Peter Pringle who believes everyone should use it.  Thomas Grillo tends not to use it because he doesn't believe in being dependent on it in case of technical difficulties using it during a concert.  It is definitely a matter of preference so get your new theremin and see how you take to it.  Once you know you are hooked have your pitch preview installed and it will only enhance your B3 Pro all the more!

Musically yours,

Brian ;^)

Posted: 5/26/2014 6:02:38 PM
Rokitman

Hi Brian,

Thanx for the explanation. I too have a hearing lost, but I wear hearing aids in both ears. I would have to remove one to wear the pitch preview. Doing that would greatly reduce the volume of the PP. I'm assuming there is no separate volume control for the PP? Might be an option I wouldn't find helpful anyway.

Thanx,

- Dean -

Posted: 5/26/2014 9:53:03 PM
Amethyste

I have a "VOX" Headphone amplifier that I plug into the pitch preview :) Problem solved.

Posted: 5/26/2014 10:06:11 PM
Rokitman

Amethyste,

Similar to this? http://www.amazon.com/Vox-amPlug-AC30-Guitar-Headphone/dp/B000ZMYRJS?tag=donations09-20

So you plug that into the PP, then plug your ear bud into that? See, I'm not even aware if the B3 comes with a PP jack or if I would have to install one.

Thank you Amey.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.