just wanderings ? regarding a new theremin!

Posted: 8/26/2014 9:13:16 PM
xtheremin8

visitor, artists, genleman,

yes,  some politeness can't hurt.( i consider your circle of people are somekind of a open minded society already.)  

since the hope on a new theremin as such evolved into a " hoorayble " situation, (from my point of view, it looks more like "the curse of the theremin" really ),   i would rather spend my money, i'd put aside for that toastherini, into a crowd funded something..so this, amongst other serious facts, led me to: why not share that idea. i simply can't be the only one . bullshit  time is over anyway.           maybe something for a better world thereminization.

the "tw modular modules" . (maybe pcb's or kits, sold through "tw" , non greedy resellers, privates, shows, etc..)

if this works, the extra money could go into development of a third module or a entire new instrument. something, with all the voices one could wish for.  maybe a "tw theremin"?  

like a phoenix...

i posted a brainstormed page in the loosegear  photo album.  feel free to have a look, copy paste, scribble onto it and repost, comment, whatever.  bad translations like:  who's got visions should see a doctor, are also heartly welcome. lol.

fred, love your T2 deal deeply. 

out of nothing, dani 

Posted: 8/26/2014 9:20:39 PM
Touchless

bullshit  time is over anyway -  Xther

I am sure it is just getting started, we will have a beer and tell stories about the one that got away.

Hey XTher you have a creative open mind and I like that, are you sure you are on the old side of the pond where everyone drives on the wrong side of the road?

T

Posted: 8/26/2014 9:41:18 PM
xtheremin8

non touchable one,

i hoped your one of the first one's that reply! i do my best to keep tracks. unfortunately, i'm  kind of trapped in a cheeshole, surrounded by europeans. so i drove the right side for sure. but i had my early-morning-alone-on-the-road expierience  somewhere  in the south-downs england. 'til that lory showed up...and i loved it!

already time for that beer?  singing sentiments? 

dani

Posted: 8/26/2014 10:10:37 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"the "tw modular modules" . (maybe pcb's or kits, sold through "tw" , non greedy resellers, privates, shows, etc..)" - Dani.

TW has been down that road before, Dewster started it here it went on to here and then in all sorts of directions, it inspired some of the most interesting discussion and analysis and discovery I have ever seen or been part of at TW.. With theremin development, there are all sorts of possible directions - Some come to something, some dont.. Spreading the process of theory and design and construction and testing amongst participants has the potential to reveal what directions are worth taking - And in the process both practical constructable circuits evolve AND theoretical insights and understanding progresses .. Those who think theory is "just talk" dont like this - they want the theremin without the understanding - But its only possible to produce crap if one gives in to just churning something out because it "works".

It may be time to revive the project, or start another.. But it needs IMO tight control and management if its to go anywhere. Such management never existed last time, and unless things have changed (and I see no sign of this - in fact I see the opposite) IMO the prognosis is abysmal.

There is a civil war that rumbles continuously under the surface at TW in my opinion - a war which inhibits any chance of maintaining any technical direction or achieving any results here.. All we can do IMO is put ideas out into the community for people or groups within TW (or 'outside' viewers) to use as they wish - In the last TW project things were going that direction - theoretical ideas were put foward by those who are castigated for their "talk" by some individuals, and others built these, and we were going somewhere slowly..

But then it went wrong - and I fear that the same underlying disruptive mechanism for it going wrong has not been fixed or managed or REALLY left TW, and until this happens the probability of the same recurring is too high - for me anyway.

So I will just keep dumping my circuits and ideas and "just talk" here, and there are others who do the same, and for my part I am happy if people take and use what I have contributed, and couldnt care less if people instead use some other circuit (provided its not the Glasgow "theremin" LOL ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 8/26/2014 10:53:00 PM
Touchless

if this works, the extra money could go into development of a third module or a entire new instrument. something, with all the voices one could wish for.  maybe a "tw theremin"?  - X

XTher my shop is in a community called Tombstone, this is a place where it is hard to tell the difference between fantasy and skewed reality. It has the sights and sounds of the past, mock up gun fights every weekend at noon. In the end everyone is faking it! I just love the smell of gun powder in the morning. LOL

T

Posted: 8/27/2014 1:25:16 AM
xtheremin8

fred: thanks for the pointers. for my own shame, i've to commit that i never searched for "tw-theremin" before!  i have to read that things firstly. i'm wondering...

when i sold something, i firstly asked the customer: what is it worth to you, how much would you pay? i sometimes got almost the double! if they where on the cheap side i told them my price and got along with it.  i'm just a hopeless dreamer and not the cleverest businessman. 

i finally fell in love with diy caused on that http://www.musicfromouterspace.com  and now that's cool stuff there. informativ,quite simple sometimes to understand etc....but i miss the antennas.. oh there's  one on the robots head!  but the 1v/oct controller market is still hot...

touchless: what for? cock the hammer.. per un pugno di dollari?  ah, some americans...shoot first ask later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Y5XjlO4vk

sorry for posting such a loony link ;-)

Posted: 8/27/2014 2:20:14 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"i finally fell in love with diy caused on that http://www.musicfromouterspace.com  and now that's cool stuff there. informativ,quite simple sometimes to understand etc....but i miss the antennas.. oh there's  one on the robots head!  but the 1v/oct controller market is still hot..." - Dani

It is!

As you may have noticed ;-) I love the CV synth! - Yeah - probably more than I love the theremin... My great irony is that I was right in the midst of it in the 70's - 80's, and digital burst that bubble and I had to find other work.. Then, just when the CV market was reviving, I got into theremins - I never saw that the CV market was taking off, and missed the starting wave. LOL ;-) I feel like ive been here before..

But I do have a design for taking a theremin and giving it low latency CV output that tracks the whole audio spectrum - And I have a design for a CV controlled theremin - And I am working on a recently seen way to simplify both monsters and possibly making them affordable (have some PSoC 4 boards on order which should arrive tomorrow - these will be used primarily in analogue and mixed signal modes, with a touch of maths implemented digitally for curve correction).

And IF it all works or holds promise (as in, I havent made some huge F-up ;-) I will hopefully make a PCB and prototype it and publish it and perhaps even manage to supply kits - who knows... Time and money are not on my side, and lots of factors in my matrix probably mean that the best I will manage is to publish the ideas and give away the programming / configuration file for the PSoC.

But I do agree with you completely - MFOS is great, CV is great, and putting the theremin world and the CV synth world into closer communication could IMO only benefit both.

If I can get some benefit from doing so, that would also be great - I could do with some of the bread I have cast on the water coming back to me now, even of its soggy and almost inedible! ;-) LOL

Fred.

Posted: 8/27/2014 12:13:15 PM
xtheremin8

fred, you have my fullest sympathy and empathy. i also had my time on porridge and soup out of the bag. but in my  actual shituation, i'm happy and thankful, for having social institutions wich work. stupidly said: the water comes out of the tab, electricity off the wall, the rooof doesn't leak.. what can one ask for more? but that's my own nature modesty. i also would go for that soaky loaf of bread and try to catch some fishes with it.

the biologic-dynamic tip for today: beetroot keeps you grounded. isjustafact.

maybe your pedantery might be hindering yourself a bit. like, putting a 'C' just for safety. "muntz it".  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntzing  ,for the kurious reader.  i imagine that muntz-guy having a good time with the snippertisnip. ;-)

before it get's really hard with your life and your" last straw project", and your device is really something for the 1v/oct addicts,  you should post your IBAN and we can found a fundes fund. finally is this a community of theremin addicted crazy headers sympathiserz & cowboys , or what

restrictions allways opens new possabillitis, (oh, i'm such a filosofical- one.)    immerhin.

what one can do on his own: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oK1Rzch89Dw 

( i don't know how to put a video so everybody can watch it. a tip?)

tbc...

Posted: 8/27/2014 3:01:01 PM
FredM

" i'm happy and thankful, for having social institutions wich work. " - Dani

Yeh - The UK is a bit backward there, IMO.. It "works" at some levels, and its unlikely that one doesn't get caught by some safety net to some degree - but we still have homeless people sleeping rough and hungry children, and our health service is being decimated by greedy Tories -  This is what you get if you spend the nations wealth embarking on invasions of other countries and dont tax the rich to pay for these!

However, having said that - I am not at the bottom yet! Even the most impoverished person in the UK is wealthy compared to millions in Africa and Burma and other places, and our corrupt political and legal situation (the fact, for example, that you can no longer get legal aid unless so many boxes are ticked that you aint got a hope) is still a model of righteousness compared to many other places.

As for a "fundes fund" - - I strongly believe that all matters related to product development etc need to stand on their own legs and be commercially viable (I am talking here about application, not about pure research - this I believe needs public funding) - that this is the "evolutionary test" which keeps us from having even more crap on the market.. Everything produced consumes resources - we cannot (as a species) just continue to consume our limited resources if we are to survive. Every inventor and developer wants their product to go into production and believes it to be useful and great, and some can persuade others of this even if its not "reality".

My personal wellbeing and status and related matters are irrelevant - anyone having spare money can find a million (several billion?) far more needy people and causes and fund these .. The more difficult life becomes for me, the more I start to get a glimpse of the incredible and nearly unimaginable hardship these millions suffer continuously. I despair as I fight to stop my children from being moved from their home to a cheaper area in the country - I want them to stay settled in their good schools and safe environment with lovely countryside all round... Can I imagine the suffering of those parents where the bombs fall daily? Can I imagine what those uprooted or invaded people now living in (effective) concentration camps are feeling? No - I cant! .. But what I can imagine makes my troubles irrelevant, and makes theremins and synths and all these distractions utterly irrelevant.

Fred.

Posted: 8/27/2014 5:10:18 PM
xtheremin8

fred, i'm with you on all points. sold my 3000€ worth warwick thumb bass for 600€ to a talented young girl who couldn't afford it. she rocks! or jazzes more actually. and after some reading on the previous tw- theremin....

fred, if your advice can do, what i've scribbled for only the pitch-module, put me on the preorder list!

dani

..going 90 miles an hour down a dead end street...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.