Theremin For High School Band

Posted: 9/20/2014 12:39:31 PM
The_Wriddler

Hello, as you could probably guess by the title, I am trying to buy a Theremin for my highschool band. We have an account on GoFundMe.com to raise money for this and I need some help. So if you don't want to donate then I ask you to please spread the link. Thank you!

http://www.gofundme.com/em85eo

Posted: 9/20/2014 3:44:52 PM
Touchless

Wriddler your request is perfect for a marching band. You should tell us more about your school. I have given away theremins to groups here in Tucson. If it is for the school band why not get everyone to chip in $10 ?

T

http://www.gofundme.com/em85eo

Posted: 9/20/2014 7:14:47 PM
The_Wriddler

Thank you Touchless, I actually used to live in Tucson. My school is Palm Bay High and we are trying to get a Theremin becasue I think it will be a fun experience for everyone, and that is a great Idea.

Thanks Again

Posted: 9/20/2014 10:10:25 PM
RS Theremin

How will you apply the theremin at your school as it is a difficult instrument to learn and most would graduate before they could perform effectively?

Christopher

Posted: 9/20/2014 10:39:09 PM
rkram53

Here's an idea. Get together with your science department and share the costs. You can buy the Moog Kit which is cheaper and the science students can learn how it's built and operates and then when they are done you can use it in the band.

Rich

Posted: 9/22/2014 10:30:49 PM
The_Wriddler

The theremin will really just be a way to see that there is more music than just instruments or singing, even if they might not be able to perform effectively it will still be a cool experience, and thank you, thats a great idea

Posted: 9/23/2014 1:19:57 AM
xtheremin8

hi wriddler,

you're the saxplayer? cool. just been on the gofundme website. already 50$! i like also the science/music do-it-together idea. if the enthusiasm for (kit)building is big enough: etherwave parts. mostly all essential parts are there. the manuals on how to build and maintain that instrument can be found on TW. so you can choose how expensive your etherwave will get. i think, it's (still) the best theremin availlable for the price. but there are also different types of theremin and sure, you saw thomas grillo with brilliant reviews on them. a must see. 

if you have arduino experiences or not: open.theremin. a cheap, simple to handle shield, not the fastest, sounds quite good, yes a bit " homogenised", but specially for the: wow it all happens in space,,moment for many different people, it's handy. one button for tuning both antenna makes it somewhat idiot-proof. (works for me<:-)  ....no stranger fumbels on my volume knob, friendo....

so call back when it comes to the last few dollari ;-)  sadly my currency is not supported.

hey i still wonder how a thereminist in a marching band get's good ground.? beside the accus and the amp.. poor thereminist :-(

bound to ground

Posted: 9/23/2014 1:44:19 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"bound to ground"

LOL;-)

Have moved this post on grounding to here

Posted: 9/23/2014 8:09:11 AM
xtheremin8

fred, thanks for these diagrams. i used that grounding while playing outside with my open.theremin.  i just don't like to  be bound to a instrument, but i guess a esd-wristband around the ankle would work?  ahw, marching band... needs tied to some other part then the feet. (see touchless video input.) (boyoboy, TW get's sometimes so haywired)

personaly, all the best to wriddler for his thermin. and MTFBWY.

Posted: 9/23/2014 11:47:42 AM
rkram53

Interesting! But I suggest we get this out of this thread and into it's own thread on "grounding and best performance" or some other heading you feel is most appropriate.

And I assume a pitch preview wire in your ear could take care of this issue.

Rich

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.