Roll Call 2015

Posted: 1/20/2015 9:18:15 AM
Jason

New year... new Roll Call thread!  Welcome to Theremin World!  Tell us a little about yourself, how you learned about the theremin, and what you hope to learn from our community.

Posted: 1/27/2015 2:34:53 AM
acraftywitch

My name is Christina. I live in southwest Georgia with my husband and our two cats. I have always loved the sound of a theremin and the universe has once again put this beautiful instrument in my path. I'm currently finalizing my choice of which theremin to purchase with the help of other members on this site. I'm excited to learn all that I can from this incredibl talented theremin family! Blessed Be!

Posted: 1/27/2015 10:36:39 AM
TimmShere

Hello my name is Timm. Oct 2013 I was recovering from a stroke. As a musician unable to play an instrument with my left arm. So I bought a Theremin to tinker around with. A month later 3 musicians wanted to help me in my recovery.  We started a band called Expired Logic on Nov.2013.  I'm ok at theremin far from a pro and I play it quite different. But it actually caught on. 2014 was my break through year traveling the U.S. & Japan playing Theremin over Hardcore Surf Punk. And dubbed a genre called Sci-Fi Punk. So my love for theremin and listening to all types of music and sound effects. Have inspired me. And to see some of the haters come forward and say I've never heard a theremin played like that. It's very inspiring. Now I'd like to learn more technique. Here's a link to our sounds. Songs "Heaven's to Murgatroyd, Ghidrah & Wrath of Mothra are just a few songs with theremin. 

www.soundcloud.com/ExpiredLogic 

thanks for reading and excited to read all the threads in Theremin World

Posted: 1/27/2015 8:45:29 PM
GordonC

Hi Timm. No hate here. :-)

Check out Messer Chups - Russian surf punk featuring hardcore punk thereminist Lydia Kavina on some tracks.

Also, bonus points for callng a track Heavens To Murgatroyd.

Posted: 1/28/2015 1:26:35 AM
acraftywitch

Hi Timm! 

Thank you so much for your link. I love it! 

Christopher, this is what I want. To play classical and then at times just jam! I guess I thought the theremini was what was used for that. I'm seeing things differently now.

Posted: 1/29/2015 2:23:55 AM
xtheremin8

hi timm, and all new ones,

welcome and thanx4posting that one, or any musical link..keep this planet rock-mored! a midi controlled theremini might have some potential. whatever, screaming fields of sonic love anyway.

to gordonc: thanks for that one (and 'course all your housfly lamented beat frequency thereminisms.)

lol, this is a crazy thereminworld or it's the moons.

Posted: 4/3/2015 4:22:27 PM
Lyle

New year... new Roll Call thread!  Welcome to Theremin World!  Tell us a little about yourself, how you learned about the theremin, and what you hope to learn from our community.

Hi.  I've been following Theremin World for some time.  Love the sound of the theremin.

At my age, near 80, I hope to have time to at least get started on the theremin.  Why theremin?  Because I love a challenge and from what have learned here, it would be hard to find a more challenging instrument.

Someone asked me recently at a jam session, "How long does it take to learn to play the saw?"  I told him, about 5 minutes, and then the rest of your life to play it the way you would like to.

No theremin yet, but I have been playing with the Arduino UNO for some time now.  So I may start with the Open Theremin for Arduino.  Or Burns B3-deluxe.

Posted: 4/4/2015 8:53:34 PM
oldtemecula

Hello Lyle,

It is so quiet I hate to tell you we are the last two people on earth that want to explore the theremin. You posted some good info about yourself, I am always more comfortable when I know who I chat with. I cannot give much on which theremin would be best for you as the years have caused me to have bias. Clara Rockmore always comes to my mind. Your first experience will not be what you imagine, sort of like that other human skill. (-:   My advice is to stay relaxed and don’t take it too serious. Good luck

I added a new widget to my own theremin webpage  so anyone can see what countries theremin types visit from in real time, no latency here.

Christopher

Posted: 4/4/2015 10:26:27 PM
rkram53

Lyle,

If you play the saw, this instrument is definitely for you! I can't think of a better instrument to come to the theremin from (even the sounds can be similar if your theremin has a sine-like tone). It's gotta be a very similar mindset working in a totally flexible pitch field - and like the saw, I expect the theremin can give you a bit of a physical workout as well once you get that vibrato going in full gear (it does for me).

And the exact same five minute deal. Funny just two days ago I was searching the internet for musical saws! I think the two instruments will really complement each other. I would not be surprised if practicing the saw will make you a better theremin player and vice versa.

My only recommendation is not to buy a wooden theremin just in case you get too frustrated having all those saws hanging around. :-)

Welcome aboard!

Rich

Posted: 4/5/2015 1:58:26 AM
Lyle

Thanks, Christopher and Rich.

I will have to learn in which thread to post comments.  For now, I will just reply in this thread. 

Concerning the saw, I was quite serious about "5 minutes to learn to play it, the rest of your life to learn to play it well".  I noticed Gregoire Blanc playing both saw and theremin and the connection dawned on me.

I built a small theremin (Southwest Technical Products, I believe) when I was in high school.  Just used it around Halloween, didn't try to learn to play it.

Since I started following the theremin and this forum several months ago, I began wondering if some of the signal processing could be done with software, like the "software defined radio" in amateur radio.  I was excited to see the Open Theremin for Arduino, since I have been working with the Arduino for some time now.  I actually have a website, Lylenotes.com, with Arduino tutorials for beginners, but I have it inactive at the moment since there are so many good Arduino tutorials available.  I may reactivate that and start moving the tutorials in the direction of the sensors and techniques used for theremins.

Lyle

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.