Roll Call 2015

Posted: 5/29/2016 2:49:12 PM
Lyle

In an earlier post I said:

Just wanted to add how I got interested in theremins.

When I watched Peter Pringle play "Somewhere, Over the Rainbow", I was "hooked"!

Also watching Thomas Grillo playing Burns B3-deluxe, I decided that might be a good place to start.

After playing a B3-deluxe for about a year, I decided to try to play along with Peter Pringle's rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. 

The results: I reinforced my earlier conclusion that the theremin has a long learning curve.  What I do compared to Peter Pringle is just hit a few of the notes about right.  To paraphrase an early rock and roll singer, what I do is make a noise--some might be charitable and call it music.

Another result: Trying to play along with some of the good players, I started noticing some of nuances of interpretation in their playing.  This appears to be a good way to improve my appreciation in listening to others play.

Lyle

Posted: 9/27/2016 7:16:44 PM
Pingvin

Hi, I'm Detty, from Hungary. I have a Moog Standard Theremin for 3 days now :-).

I have been playing the piano, guitar, flute, and tried whatever musical instrument I could get my hands on. I always thought that somehow there should be a way to touch a point in space and make it sound, so then I found it on youtube "accidentally". I am now working out my own way of playing. So far Pamelia's style is the closest and most fitting to my hands.

Posted: 9/30/2016 3:58:12 AM
jocala

Hello all,

I first became interested in the Theremin when I saw Theremin:An Electronic Odyssey. I decided to take it up after I gave up flute for medical reasons. I started out with a Theremini, but couldn't fall in love with it. I now have a EWS and am quite happy.

In addition to the Lydia Kavina instructional video that comes with the Etherwave, I'm studying Thomas Grillo's DVD lessons, and of course I watch Theremin activity on youtube.

I'm about one month in.

Posted: 3/30/2017 5:46:52 PM
cyberghostx13

Well my name is Kerry. I'm sixty-seven and retired. A little over a week ago I saw and heard my first Theremin. It was a performance of Tim Blake playing with the space-rock group Hawkwind in a 90 min video from 2007. I was completely blown away, what was this instrument and who was this Leon Theremin? I did a lot of research and bought a Moog Etherwave Plus Theremin bundle(Moog15, Cables, Gig-Bag) and also a MoogerFooger 101 LF(After seeing demo on online store) and I will receive them both on April 3rd 2017. I'm just an amateur and I have no degrees, no formal training in either music or electronics, but I do have a lot of passion for this very unique musical instrument. I look forward to this great adventure in sound and meeting new people that are like minded pertaining to the Theremin and it's fantastic sound. Kerry.

Posted: 4/16/2017 6:05:43 PM
mochlhung

its not 2015, but i have a moog etherwave standard on the way, i hope to explore this magnificant intrument with my wife who plays many instruments.

Posted: 10/12/2017 5:33:03 PM
Emmanuelle

Hi ! My name is Emmanuelle, 36, French living in Berlin, Germany. My son (7) and I are starting classical theremin lessons, thanks to Carolina Eyck and one of her students. As I type (12/10/2017) I have absolutely zero knowledge of electric music, but I'm looking forward to learn ! Wilco Botermans is building our Etherwave Standard with the ESPE01 module. If you live in Berlin and want to get in touch, please contact me :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.