Metal Braces + Theremin Player

Posted: 1/22/2015 2:58:30 AM
TempesT

Hello, ThereminWorld! I just got braces, and was wondering if metal braces would affect my theremin playing severely enough for me to avoid playing until I have them off (in 2 years). Thanks for any information regarding the matter.

Posted: 1/22/2015 5:04:18 AM
oldtemecula

Stop looking for a reason not to practice or come up with a better one. When the braces are removed you will play better only because your style matured.

Have Fun!

Edit: Many years ago a friend of mine placed a 9 volt battery across his top and bottom braces, it clamped his jaw!#$% He saw stars and staggered saying it almost knocked him out! Don't try this without supervision.

Posted: 1/24/2015 8:31:30 PM
TempesT

Thank you! Perhaps none of my paranoias hold any merit. I should just quit with the fear and start practicing whenever I can.

Posted: 1/24/2015 8:59:35 PM
dewster

Since your body is a bag of fairly conductive salt water, from a capacitive angle the metal braces in your mouth are a drop in the ocean.  If your Theremin was somehow inadvertently designed to be a metal detector then I suppose there is the potential for a problem, but it's not like you're waving your mouth around close to it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.