Hello World! ...and advice needed about buying a theremin/i

Posted: 1/27/2015 12:34:31 PM
werewolfsound

Hi friends, 

I'm Javier from Spain.

I've been reading this forum as I love theremin and plan to buy one, but I'd like to ask you something:

I love the theremini as it has USB port, built-in speaker, different sounds, the price... But I don't like the fact that its not an analog instrument.

I read that it has improved a lot since the last firmware update but...

Can I use the theremini to learn to play the theremin properly?

If I learn with it will I be able to play an analog theremin such as the etherwave?

Should I buy the etherwave plus instead the theremini?

I hope you can help me, see you around! :)

Posted: 1/27/2015 3:29:41 PM
xtheremin8

hello javier,

if you're about to learn the theremin the properly classic way, a etherwave standard might work sufficiently. go for it. if you're about to use it also as a cv-controller for other gear, go for the plus or you could later upgrade to plus quite easily, with the field upgrade kit. and there are still those bass-extensionions you could build into it. also a very nice feature.

the theremini still "feels" odd and it still sounds like a undercontrolled animoog. the firmware failed on some points, and quite a lot of people still wait for a new update. maybe it works for some as a "classic" beginners instrument. i'm not sure, but i doubt it. anyway, the soundscape fun stuff starts, when sending like some sequenced midi cc# into the theremini, or reversing volume response for a better smooth volume attack, hooking up some pedals......

oh, and welcome

Posted: 1/28/2015 1:41:28 AM
acraftywitch

Javier,

I have also been asking questions about the theremini. Thankfully I have been getting a lot of great advice. Welcome!

Posted: 1/28/2015 12:19:26 PM
werewolfsound

Thank you xtheremin8 for your advice. It's not what I wanted to hear but... :)

I have to think about it :s

Acraftywitch, did you buy any theremin already? Which one will you buy? 

It's nice not to feeling alone in the long way we choosed :)

Posted: 1/28/2015 7:29:38 PM
xtheremin8

whoops,

i didn't mean it to discourage any attempt on the theremin. quite the opposite. get yourself a good one soon. 

javier  wrote: Can I use the theremini to learn to play the theremin properly?

i'm in doubt about that, just because of "properly". the theremini's sound is a wavetable-synth,  why start learning on a hinghong keyboard when you like the piano? 

If I learn with it will I be able to play an analog theremin such as the etherwave?

yep, since the gestures are more or less the same on both devices. someone around here stated, that it made him playing better on a etherwave. also on a previous post about it: a good point is learning "bad habbits". does not matter for many, but must be a killer for the pro-classic playing. 

btw.:lovely moustache !

all the best on your theremin-journey.

Posted: 1/28/2015 10:42:45 PM
werewolfsound

Hi again xtheremin8,

I mean I will have to think about getting a theremini or an etherwave, but I will buy a theremin/i for sure! :)

The problem is that I will miss some of the great theremini features (speaker, usb port, headphone output -I know the etherwave plus have it.

I play the guitar (classical guitar mostly) since I was a boy and I play violin too (for 3 years now) and I tend to reduce equipment, so I don't like the idea of carrying an amp everytime I play the theremin. On the other hand I love etherwave design and sound...

Again, Thank you!

btw.:lovely moustache ! :p

Posted: 1/29/2015 12:45:20 AM
xtheremin8

some thoughts,

it's a ironic fact after all, that the tmini can't be recommended straight away and without hesitation as a "classic" first theremin, not if you played already a analog one. like any instrument, it needs developement of skills. on theremins, that journey bears some important moments of amazement. and i'm not talking about 'the cat searches the pitch'. if one could miss those on a theremini, i'm not sure. maybe some future ex-theremini-pupils can tell us some day about that :-)

anyway, next to your etherwaves ;-) : if you like to have a small  theremin, you can carry around in your pocket and set up easily, check out the http://www.gaudi.ch/OpenTheremin/  website. the new v2 is quite nice done. ( yes, this is a bit "support your single local theremin manufacturer") sali urs.

javier, your violin skills can come handy, if you ever come across a fairly unlinear theremin ;-)

good oscillations to all.

Posted: 1/31/2015 5:51:41 AM
acraftywitch

Javier, I have not purchased a theremin yet, but I keep leaning towards the theremini. It just feels like the right decision (for now). Eventually I will own an etherwave and take over the world. But for now, baby steps!

Posted: 2/6/2015 12:28:14 PM
werewolfsound

Thank you for your responses, I will think about it and I hope to buy one in a few weeks :)

Cheers

Posted: 2/6/2015 3:57:11 PM
CraftyWitch

Mine will be here tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm extremely excited! I'll let you know what I think.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.