Clean Slate

Posted: 4/29/2015 9:03:50 PM
E  P

Hello all,

I’m a newbie to the Theremin, well actually, the Theremini.  I came across the instrument while surfing the net looking for something else (I love how the net can constantly open doors to new things).  I was immediately intrigued, and dug deep to find as much info on it as I could, which of course led me here.  I’m planning on getting the Theremini next month and I’m very excited, to say the least. 

The disdain Theremin purist expressed for the Theremini was mindboggling, and equally, those that acquired it were very passionate in their love of the Theremini.  The negative rants were an education for me. I can totally understand why a purist would view the “mini” as a toy, or worse, as kwap (sorry, couldn’t bring myself to use the ‘c’).  Still, a number of naysayers explained why the “mini” would have an appeal for novices like me.  In truth, I look upon the “mini” as a hybrid “theremin – like” instrument.  The bulk of the rants against the “mini” were all from over a year ago, and it was nice to see Mr. Grillo consider the Theremini more seriously, as in how it can be used and or upgraded.        

Before I go on, let me drop in a video I think many of you will find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNT0PsBE2LY&index=31&list=PLyOntNBRtRNvtS_ZnjsbfgWDqZ9qkIsxr

This was the only decent demo I could find on YT that described in some detail (albeit in Spanish) how to configure an Etherwave Theremin.  Once I’d seen this vid I knew that the Theremini could not touch the EW in sonority.  After seeing this you may ask, why the heck are you gonna get a “mini” when you can have the real thing.  First, I’m intrigued by the versatility of the “mini”. I plan to use it in tandem with my electric guitar (recording) and as a stand-alone instrument.  So, to some degree I would be using it as an effect or enhancement from time to time, as well as playing it alone.  Second, the Theremini’s built in speaker (I don’t need to invest in an amp right away) and its other flavors appeal to me for experimentation   The big question is will this device lead me in the future to a real Theremin.  I’d like to say yes.  The above video was a great demo as to the power and glory of the real thing.  For now, I think I’ll be content with “training wheels” until that time.

Last month my father passed away and I’m still coming to terms with this acute transition, and I’ve been exploring pieces on the guitar to compose about him and his life.  With that said, I think the Theremini will provide me with a unique soundscape to work with to this end, both with the guitar and without.

So, with all that said.  I’m a clean slate and I’m very excited for this new musical adventure.               

Posted: 4/29/2015 9:32:16 PM
oldtemecula

Welcome EP,

There are some good Theremini enthusiasts around here. I am not a musician so mostly study the early theremin concepts. The forum has been real slow the past few months, having you join in is encouraging that we will not all fade away.

Christopher

Posted: 4/29/2015 9:43:43 PM
E  P

I hope we don't fade away - I just got here.  I have to admit Chris, here I go again, playing an obscure instrument in my locale.  I played the Chinese Zhongruan ["jong - rhann"] for five years exclusively before returning to the guitar last year.  And here I am taking on the Theremini.  I'm sure in my city there are very few players of either instrument.  In any case, I'm looking forward to time well spent here. 

Posted: 4/29/2015 10:42:17 PM
oldtemecula

E P

I really enjoy the Sounds of the East. I track my theremin visitors and Asia has not adopted the theremin yet, then again neither has our culture. lol - Cao Van Lau, the grandfather of my best friend today from Saigon is recognized as the Father of Cai Luong the official music of Vietnam. Grandpa made it to Canada eventually passing in '76. His instrument was the dan tranh and dan bau.

I think this is a Chinese Zhongruan in the middle?

Christopher

Posted: 4/29/2015 10:46:03 PM
xtheremin8

hello ep,

i have a mini, after quite some other ones. i'm not the nay, nor the yess -guy. i'm just a bit critical and it's quite difficult to describe the difference between. it's a incredible hard to play instrument anyway and to give expression into the playing even more. but on the mini it's quite more difficult, because the volume is very snappy, and the pitch a bit slow....fortunately, i play theremin sometimes with reversed volume response, and that reversed tuning improves the volume behavior of the mini. it's sounds are editable and thomas grillo made some nice sounds for it. btw.:the speaker overdrives quite quick, so headphones are the better way to go. or a p.a. of course. it's a bit a mind boggling new age sound delay fun thing, for my taste and still hard for me to take it seriously.

it has potential, if well edited, and maybe it bears the sounds you like. animoog makes better soundscapes.

i'm in the same timeline like you regarding life as such, it's also a month since, and i'm very happy to have a good, real theremin next to me and be able to express my feelings on it. 

Posted: 4/30/2015 1:28:13 AM
E  P

My condolences xther.  I can’t say I know what you’re going through, and you can’t say for me, but we both have a keen idea.  With that said, that’s a large reason why I want the Theremini.  To some extent I want to immerse myself in sound, to express some of that pain, loss, transition.  What happens after that, well, there’s the rub?   

In all honesty, with even that said, the mini is an impulse buy.  There, I’ve said it.  If nothing else I have endlessss…sustain…endless.  If it doesn’t work out, or if I feel I made a musical mistake = sell it and move on (possibly to the real thing?).  But the kid in me is seduced, highly.  Yes, I want to learn to play, but for now, self expression is the doorway; I have a lot I want to exude in sound.  I’m sixty years old.  Since 1978 I’ve played steel string acoustics, a Strat, Gretsch hollowbody, 12 string, and zhongruan, and now I’m going for the Theremini, musical wanderer me. 

The biggest hindrance  from really learning to play the Theremin via the “mini” IMO, distractions – delay, FX; with all those FX the tendency for self indulgence will be great!  And that’s what the newbies will mine initially.  I plan to graze.    

The big question is this, for thousands, possibly millions of mini owners, myself included, will there come the time when “we” discard it thinking; maybe it is just a grandiose toy, a sophisticated noise maker, not “crap” necessarily, but not really a serious musical instrument, and certainly not a THEREMIN. 

I enjoyed the video immensely, and the ruanist was very good.  If you look at my ID pic, her zhongruan looks very similar, except on mine the frets are made of bamboo, on hers, bon

Posted: 4/30/2015 2:45:15 AM
xtheremin8

ep,

well,  i wish i could still bash my washburn from time to time....loud as hell..but i'm kinda stuck to monophonics. and have a good time with them...where's a will there's a overdrive! 

as you say, if you don't like it resell it. best way to go. i would do so too. i like to toy around with it for hours, mostly hooked up to some midi stuff for some sort of rhythmic patterns and a good loud bassy p.a...and off i am.

it's a kuriosity

Posted: 4/30/2015 11:41:05 AM
rkram53

Hi EP,

You probably know I'm a big Theremini supporter, but if you are an experienced musician and you think you have a good ear then don't get a Theremini just because you think you will need that to "graudate" to an Etherwave (though I know you do have other reasons to get one). If you are a beginner musician and not sure about your ear then there may be more compelling reasons to get a Theremini.

But there are a lot of factors to consider. I did a writeup as to why someone totally new to the Theremin might lean in one direction or another and I'll post that in its own thread tonight.

Rich

Posted: 4/30/2015 1:05:17 PM
E  P

I'd like to read that thread Rich.  As far as I've read here, the learning curve for the Theremini is made somewhat easier with pitch correction (which has been damned in some circles).  That aspect of the instrument is alluring.  As far as "graduating" to an EW, that was something I had in mind anyway, as I always rather more than one instrument.  I currently have two guitars and two ruans.  I was all set to get a third guitar this summer when I became curious about the Theremini.  And yes Rich, I lurked for a time and was quite taken with your support of the Theremini, which in a number of ways helped me decide to take the plunge.  Though I 've known what a Theremin is for years, I never thought I'd ever be inclined to play one. 

xther, I know what you mean.  I haven't played the ruan in months, but plan to approach it this summer over vacation.  In some ways the zhongruan can be compared to the Theremini.  The zhongruan is not a guitar, it is guitar - like, and can make sounds a Western acoustic can't.  If I can find a way to post a video I'll do that for another thread.  Speaking of the ruan.  When I got my first one five years ago I knew this; there were no DVDs, no CD-roms, no method books, no forums on the zhongruan in English, nada, hole of a donut.  I had to create my own technique (a blending of Western and some Chinese), played my own compositions, and in the end, after five years in I thought I'd never play Western guitar again.  I was more than content with the ruan, but as they say, never say never.  With all that said, the zhongruan was a risk that paid off.  Bring on the Theremini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ubL3mNb0A

Posted: 5/1/2015 4:13:29 AM
bisem

EP,

I have no desire to buy a Theremini myself as I enjoy playing my analogue theremins so much.  Having said that I have also been trying to keep an open mind about the newcomer to Thereminworld. 

As far as not having to buy an amplifier....I don't think this should be a factor in your decision.   First of all you can always pick up a decent amp on craigslist for cheap.  Secondly the speaker on the theremini can't compare to the sound you will get from an amplifier and it may seem more like a toy to you having previous musical experience. Therefore, even if you get the Theremni I believe you will want a half decent amp that is appropriate for it.

"The big question is will this device lead me in the future to a real Theremin."   Be careful....a lot of Theremini fans on here will argue about what a "real" theremin is LOL!    But seriously you bring up a couple good points about using it as an effects enhancement and using it in tandem with an electric guitar, however you can use an analog theremin for those purposes as well.  I do have to say that Thomas Grillo's growing respect for the Theremini's potential carries a good bit of weight with me.  

This may not help in your decision but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.  

My father also passed last October but remember that it is only a transition!  I am sure that you will find many ways to express a continued connection to your father...especially through your musical journey.    

Brian ;^)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.