lessons in East Coast U.S. ?

Posted: 5/21/2015 7:32:19 PM
xoadc

Hello all,

I'm planning a mini film screening tour in Eastern US this fall (oct-nov), down through New York, Pensylvannia (and hopefully as far South as North Carolina - I'd like to make it to Ashburne)... The tour still in the early planning stages so not all the venues have been confirmed.

I'd like to take advantage of that travelling time to maybe take a lesson or two if I pass through a city that has a theremin player / instructor. 

I'm just starting out with theremins, and there's no one in my local area who plays the theremin, so I'm learning from DVDs and youTube videos.... my film tour won't have me in any one place for a long period of time... but it would be great to even have just one lesson with a real live person in real-space-and-time if possible. You can learn so much more in person!  I don't  have a lot of money, but hopefully I can afford one or two lessons in person if I pass through a city that has a thereminist.

Or even just meeting some other thereminists for coffee or a drink when I pass through would be great too!
Current confirmed stops on the tour include: Acra, Brooklyn, Syracuse, and Harrisburg.
Still working on venues for Buffalo, Rochester, and others.

Posted: 5/21/2015 10:15:11 PM
rkram53

Try looking up the NY Theremin Society. They actually have events where they give lessons at their location in Brooklyn. Maybe you can time your tour accordingly. Or try contacting them.

Posted: 5/21/2015 10:32:36 PM
xoadc

oh.my.god. thank you!  that is a FANTASTIC lead! 

I'll look into it!  Thanks!!!!

Posted: 5/22/2015 3:53:52 PM
RSchwim

Hi... I teach in Brooklyn. 

RSchwim295@aol.com

646 369 3341

Posted: 5/24/2015 11:20:14 PM
coalport

xoadc, Where is Ashburne? Did you mean Ashburn (Georgia) or Asheville, (North Carolina)?

Posted: 5/25/2015 11:50:24 AM
Amethyste

I can also teach ~ I am in New Hampshire :)

Posted: 5/26/2015 1:33:27 AM
senior_falcon

If you visited the Ithaca, NY area I'd be good for a cup of coffee, a gin & tonic, or both.  And of course, as much discussion of the theremin as you would want.

Posted: 7/2/2015 11:46:57 PM
xoadc

ah yes!  coalport, you're on to me and my typo!  Ahseville, North Carolina is what I meant. 
I'm hoping to visit the VOA shortwave radio site there.

For lessons I'm hoping to connect with Rob Schwimm in Brooklyn... I'll send another email.
Amethyste, New Hampshire is totally doable on my trip!  I'll send you a message.

Senior Falcon, I very well may be in or near Ithaca at some point, so yes, I'm totally down for a a coffee or gin & tonic and theremin talk! 

If anyone else out there teaches theremin, send me a message, and we can talk about dates and rates. :-)

In the meantime, I'm studying solfege and voice with an instructor in my home town (there are no thereminists here, so voice and ear training seemed like the next best thing)... and I'm getting my theremin specific lessons from DVDs and youtube.  So my skill level will be pretty basic-beginner.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.