Etude No. 1 "Haunted"

Posted: 7/8/2015 12:27:32 AM
RePO

Hello Theremin World,

I received my first Theremin (Her name is Tilly) in December. As a pianist at heart, I began to work on a short Etude while using DVD and Youtube lessons on perfecting a new skill such as playing the Theremin. And attached is what I've conjured. A short song titled "Etude No. 1, Haunted." I hope you all enjoy the song. There's a little bit of the Alesis SR16 on drums for this song. 

Posted: 7/9/2015 12:13:27 AM
coalport

RePO, Are you aware that there is a voice shadowing your lead at a distance of a fourth below the melody? What sort of theremin are you playing? Is it a THEREMINI?

Posted: 7/9/2015 2:03:06 AM
rkram53

I like it a lot. Very impressed with your ability to control pitch in 6 months.

On the other thread you said Tilly was a Burns B3 Pro?

What processing have you sent Tilly through on this?

Posted: 7/9/2015 3:13:17 AM
RePO

Tilly is a live play (Mic in front of a Guitar Amp, I've been trying to figure out how to send the voice through to computer without the amp. Any ideas would be great!) with a little preset of Garageband for Echo-Reverb. I believe it was a 25/30 ratio. Which is probably why it sounds like a "layer of voice" is around the main voice. Nope, not a Theremini, a Burns B3 Pro. Simple set up really. Because it was a live play, obviously the Equalizer and Dynamic Compressor was used to remove the "Ssss" sound from the Amp and bring out the bold quality of Tilly's voice. 

Thank you for the compliments. I had hoped this track would go well with the Alesis SR16. It's a total 80's Drum machine. HAHA! 

P.S. This is Tilly with a bent pitch antenna. The replacement should be in really soon. 

Posted: 7/10/2015 11:50:42 AM
rkram53

The great thing about Etude #1 is that it gets me in high expectation mode for Etude #2! I think you did in fact get a really haunting, vocal sound out of your B3. I have one and I normally record direct to DAW (due to ambient noise issues) and it does not sound as nice that way. I'm coming more to the realization that the best theremin sound is always going to be one recorded from an amp with a mic. I use a pre-amp through a DI box to go direct, but it misses something.

Frankly, once that drum came in, I wanted to hear more of it as an accompaniment. Theremin with just a simple, maybe slowly changing drum pattern might be nice, maybe an Indian tablas-like background pattern to the theremin vocal. Have to experiment with that kind of setting.

Waiting for Peter to come out with a sitar, tablas and theremin piece. 

Posted: 7/11/2015 1:26:30 AM
RePO

I've been fiddling around with combining other instruments into my next Etude. Specifically, "Dissidence" is the working title of it. With no guess to the style and theme based on an Oblique Strategy I drew while pondering on the next one.

I have a "Focusrite Scarlett 2i2" Driver. Do you supposed this would work to record into a computer?

Posted: 7/11/2015 2:56:31 AM
rkram53

I've got a Focusrite 2i2 too. Give it a shot. It's supposed to have a decent preamp for what it is.

I got it to record on a laptop but have not used it yet with the theremin (I plug the theremin into an ART tube preamp feeding into a Mackie mixer that has a firewire audio interface to the computer). I have to experiment with the 2i2 box. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.