What do we need to acompany the Theremin ?

Posted: 2/10/2016 4:58:58 PM
coalport

Hi Ginette, the answer to your question if probably NO, the system you are using for your other musical activities is very likely not the best system for amplification of your theremin. The ideal setup is the traditional single speaker monitor placed roughly at head level about three or four feet behind you. The sound coming from it should be “dry” without any reverb or other FX added to it (adding FX tends to mask poor intonation, particularly for beginners).

That “gorgeous surround sound” will be great for the music you are using for your accompaniment, but not for the threremin.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 2/10/2016 8:49:37 PM
Ginette

Thank you so much Coalport..yes great help as I am taking note on everything I need to accompany my first Theremin.So much info here !I sent you an email a week ago and wondered if you had gotten it. You are the first person I meet that seems to be close to my region that plays the Theremin. I was wondering if you give classes (if you are in Montreal or around) and if not ,if you know of people in the  region that play the Theremin or teach it..again if not, I will rely on a good DVD.

Merci encore !

Ginette

Posted: 2/11/2016 9:30:03 PM
coalport

Hi Ginette, 

I do not live in Montreal, I do not know of anyone who offers classes and I do not teach the theremin myself. Nevertheless, let me offer some advice.

The theremin is unlike traditional instruments in that there is no established method of playing it. If you wanted to learn the cello or the concert harp, just about anyone who has been playing for a year or two could show you the basics. Not so with the theremin. Most thereminists are self-taught and no two play exactly alike.

One of the problems this has created is that with no competent teacher to oversee their progress, many budding newbies have unwittingly developed habits that later interfere with their ability to advance. This can be very discouraging and is one of the reasons why the dropout rate is so high among thereminists. While there is no "right" way or "wrong" way to play, there are approaches that will help you get where you want to go and others that will hinder you. 

I suggest you carefully study videos of the theremin player you most admire, and strive to imitate the technique as closely as possible. Keep doing this until your own particular style begins to assert itself spontaneously. 

CARDINAL RULE: Never take any advice on how to play the theremin from anyone whose theremin playing you have not heard or do not enjoy. 

"The theremin is the most difficult of all musical instruments. It is much harder than the violin, which I played for years."  Clara Rockmore

Posted: 3/28/2017 2:45:49 AM
cyberghostx13

Hello. I'm so new I haven't even gotten my Moog Theremin Plus yet. I sure have done a lot of research. I bought a book "An Introduction To The Theremin" by Coralie Ehinger when I was checking out Amazon Books. 48 pages metal spiral book with pictures and diagrams. Anyway since your new like myself I just thought I'd pass the info your way. Kerry.

Posted: 3/28/2017 2:51:22 AM
cyberghostx13

coalport: I want to thank you for your taking the time to help people new to Theremin. I read your response to Ginette and it has helped me as well and I'm even newer to this than she. Kerry.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.