Theresynth

Posted: 4/8/2016 6:09:03 PM
mpampouras

A brief presentation by Nori Ubukata of this interesting instrument, "Theresyn"

Posted: 4/8/2016 6:34:05 PM
oldtemecula

I have many expressions and this fits one:

"Analog is beautiful while digital is interesting, each have their place."

dew - I think he beat you to it, why not come back over to the Light?

€ 2000 - euro?

A keyboard would be more effective at the above demo.

Have modern instruments lost the soul?

Christopher

Posted: 4/9/2016 11:25:59 AM
mpampouras

I don't think it's a digital instrument!

Another -more interesting- demo from MESSE:

Posted: 4/9/2016 1:27:18 PM
xtheremin8

i think it's a cool colaboration between yves ussons synth spirit and thereminist nori ubukata . i see a lot of different parts clutched together into one instrument: like two doepfer antennas, some essential yusynth parts, moogish cv control and (not visible in the video) a "palme" speaker with tuneable strings and the "touche" like volume handle. and the gorgeous wormy woodwork makes it to some steampunked eyecatcher anyway.

i'm pretty sure most is analog. maybe some digital help? just guessing.

for up to 2K €...it does have a rather small pitchfield?

Posted: 4/9/2016 6:40:15 PM
dewster

"i'm pretty sure most is analog. maybe some digital help? just guessing."   -- xtheremin8

He says in the video it's an analog monophonic synth.  I think I'm hearing the heterodyned pitch and the synth pitches playing together?  He also seems to be saying that someone else designed the synth and Theremin portions, and that he just stuck them together in a box.  I think he could have done more to integrate the left hand controllers.  Why is building a box a new and exciting development?

for up to 2K €...it does have a rather small pitchfield?"

I noticed that too.  The pitch field looks really cramped.

Posted: 4/9/2016 9:11:16 PM
mpampouras

"...a new and exciting development?..." who said that?

another demo video of the instrument in the extremely noisy MESSE hall.

Posted: 4/9/2016 9:54:49 PM
xtheremin8

@mpampouras:  thanks for bringing this up!

Why is building a box a new and exciting development?

good question..just had a glimpse over at my shoebox etherwave..LOL! looks like a ingenieur had the same question before! I came across the local fablab, and had my first lasecuts done. that was pretty amazing! so fast and accurate..but, yes, it can be quite the opposite when it comes to theremins and those two "antenas" and hand action. sometimes it's form over function. no,wait a minit...

in the second video, the real theremin sound is just at the beginning? around 1:30? sounds really mixable all this.

edith: after waching the 3rd video and seeing that panel, i slowly get it. this must be built with love.

Posted: 4/10/2016 1:06:30 PM
dewster

Around 2:20 in the second video he complains that the Theresyn is picking up interference.  Before that I'm hearing popping when he touches the volume antenna.  Hmm.

I can't tell if the added touch controller on the side is just touch sensitive, or if it is also a pressure controller.  Here and there he really seems to be laying into it.  It seems necessary to retract the volume antenna in order to use the touch controller, which is clunky.  It's interesting but it could use more integration effort IMO.

Posted: 6/10/2016 2:49:59 PM
mpampouras

Some more videos:

https://vimeo.com/user15614175/videos

Posted: 6/11/2016 4:08:12 PM
dewster

It looks like the touch sensor on the side is more of a capacitive thing?  Or maybe capacitive with some kind of pressure sensor underneath.  I must say seeing someone touching the Theremin while playing it makes a lot of sense, but IMO it takes a lot of the magic out of the visual performance.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.