Building The Beast

Posted: 9/5/2016 9:19:39 PM
Fat Bob

Based on the original Etherwave. It has the original circuits for distorting the output

but a different mixer (unproven) with premix distortion and coupling (unproven). There's

also an attempt at FM using a LFO on the pitch adjust pot.

I also added Fred's distortion circuit to create some harmonics for the 8 band musical EQ

with resonance to work on. There are two comb outputs for possible stereo applications. A

THAT 2180 VCA is incorporated to allow clean volume control.

I'm waiting for some beefier transistors to show up then I will begin building this beast!

EQ and DistortionEtherwave LayoutSchematic

Hmm I don't know how to get the pictures to show up larger...

Posted: 9/6/2016 6:35:06 PM
ILYA

Bob, simply insert the proper URL of your picture (the native resolution files have the original names, the thumbnail files have  suffixes "_sm")

Posted: 9/8/2016 2:34:25 PM
Jason

Awesome! Keep us posted on your progress Bob!

Posted: 9/14/2016 11:21:53 PM
Fat Bob

I made this box for the Beast;

Beast Box

From this Treasure box I got for $5 at a yard sale;

Treasure Box

Posted: 9/15/2016 2:04:43 PM
dewster

I was going to comment on the metal box within the wooden one as a capacitance adder, but for an analog Theremin it's probably fine as absolute sensitivity isn't a primary concern.  But the most sensitive part of any Theremin is exposed at the antennas, so I wonder how much shielding actually helps with interference and such?  Best I think to have a large voltage swing at the antennas and thus swamp environmental interferers.  Moog's earlier physical designs were likely strongly influenced by radio construction standards at the time (metal chassis, tubes & controls mounted on it, etc.) rather than best practices for solid state Theremin construction.  That said, having the audio circuits shielded can't hurt.  I wish you luck with this project!

Posted: 9/16/2016 11:51:03 PM
Fat Bob

Hmm somehow I thought the al box would help with external noise.

We have a strong FM station nearby that messes with my SW radio.

I'm thinking I like the MK2 better for a big project Theremin. I'll make

the EW in Stock form and do something like this;

MK2 Plus Enhanced

Posted: 9/18/2016 10:09:44 PM
Fat Bob

Here's an add on Stereo Chorus. I had purchased these PT2399's with an order as they looked cool now I have a place to use them!

MK2 Stereo Chorus

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.