pit to midi sonuus i2m

Posted: 7/19/2017 11:17:44 AM
v7peer

Hello,

I have seen the sonuus i2m pitch to midi converter.  Does anyone have experience with this box? I am afraid that it will work but that its performance will be disappointing.

This week I tried a pitch to midi converter on my pc just to sees if it will work.

my setup:

hardware:
Theremin: etherwave + espe01
audio-interface: focusrite 2i2
pc: very old pc (2002) with debian minimal install optimized for audio
amplifier: behringer k450kx (with reverb)

software:
rakarrack: this program is developed for guitar but is works great with the theremin. Beside the many effects it has a pitch to midi converter build in.
qsynth: this is the synthesizer I use.

my experience with the rakarrack pitch to midi converter:
The positive side:
- it does work.

The negative side:
- it does only work in chromatic mode (like a keyboard)
- the volume is on/off (like a keyboard without touch sensitivity)
- the latency is huge (not workable)

This is a disappointing experience.
The sonuus i2m looks like a good affordable solution but I am afraid that it will give me a similar experience.

So does someone have tried the theremin with the sonuus???

Posted: 7/21/2017 8:35:56 AM
xtheremin8

i have a i2m. but don't use it anymore. wanna have it?

good things first: chromatic or pitchbend is chooseable in the editor and also the range of the pitchbend(up to 36 semitones)  and note transpose is possible. latency is small. ~5ms or something.

But: it's also just note on/off. 😕(velocity 0/127, seen on midi-wrench app)

Posted: 7/22/2017 5:53:36 AM
v7peer

Thanks for sharing this information.
So it does work (better then the rakarrack software) but still not good enough for use with the theremin. Perhaps this is a nice option for a pitch-only theremin.

So no i2m for me.

Posted: 7/22/2017 11:19:03 AM
xtheremin8

not at all.

yes, it's nice for note on/off (gate of the synth you're using) and accurate on pitch tracking (mod wheel). you have to change the way you play theremin, if you want to use velocity. that feature is only for real slow volume antenna movements. other thing i noticed are jitters/glitched notes, when the theremin is played faster.

btw.: thereminist randy george wrote a software, midi merlin, maybe you can try that one with better results? there was quite some discussion about midi and theremin as such on thereminworld some time ago.

other solution: not sure,yet, if it can handle the etherwave plus cv out's, but kenton made a cv to midi converter with 4 cv (2 cc assignable) inputs and some other nice looking features.

Posted: 7/22/2017 3:06:23 PM
dewster

Yes, why not use an EW plus with CV outs?  It was made for exactly this.  Converting pitch to MIDI is a crying game; CV to MIDI is (theoretically) much easier to do.

Posted: 7/23/2017 5:52:08 AM
v7peer

I have a standard etherwave with espe01 and I am happy with the sound. I know that converting pitch to midi is a demanding job. But I would like to experience just a little bit, just for learning and knowing.

Posted: 7/23/2017 5:57:29 AM
v7peer

I looked up midi Merlin. Looks promising
I will have a closer look at this. Unfortunately it seems only for windows and mac. I use linux.

Posted: 7/23/2017 6:14:51 AM
v7peer

The free Midi Merlin software , version 1.02 is no longer available. Does someone know where I can still download it???

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.