Possibly of interest for building gestural instruments?

Posted: 9/13/2017 3:56:18 PM
Jason

Article: DigiKey: Use Gestures to Control Any System

Posted: 9/13/2017 3:56:41 PM
Jason

hmmm.. in case it isn't obvious, there's a link in my post above

Posted: 9/13/2017 5:19:56 PM
dewster

Thanks Jason!  I'm being snarky, this is a great pile of words from the article: "As a result, gestural interfaces will be highly useful in devices that provide ambient intelligence as part of the Internet of Things (IoT)." (!)  The x axis of the first graph should maybe be mm^2 (area)?

Not sure how many devices in my life I want controlled "in space" by dumb hardware.  But I do wonder how well these devices could be used to update something like the Haken Continuum.

I noticed a while back that links weren't getting highlighted here at TW, so I manually change their style when I post.

Posted: 9/18/2017 5:58:22 PM
Jason

"I noticed a while back that links weren't getting highlighted here at TW, so I manually change their style when I post."

Sigh. I'll add this to my list of things to investigate :)

Posted: 9/18/2017 8:18:06 PM
dewster

Thanks Jason!

If you need even more on that list (!), I'm requesting a way to post pre-formatted code type text (mono-spaced font like Courier, with spaces and hard returns retained) without any other fancy formatting applied.

The current "code" formatting does this:

code

code

The current "Pre" formatting does this:

code
code

The current "Div" formatting does this:

code
code

This is "Div" plus "Code" which is close, but kinda fancy and hard to remember:

code
code
Posted: 9/19/2017 12:41:28 PM
Jason

Another related article:

https://ask.audio/articles/make-your-own-diy-3d-gesture-and-tracking-usb-midi-controller

Posted: 9/19/2017 9:07:45 PM
dewster

Here's a video of the Flick pad:

Bandwidth looks terrible in the final "drawing" portion of the video, as I would expect (tons of averaging to pull a trustworthy signal out of the noise).

Posted: 9/19/2017 10:16:38 PM
Jason

"Thanks Jason! If you need even more on that list (!), I'm requesting a way to post pre-formatted code type text (mono-spaced font like Courier, with spaces and hard returns retained) without any other fancy formatting applied. The current "code" formatting does this: code code The current "Pre" formatting does this: code code The current "Div" formatting does this: code code This is "Div" plus "Code" which is close, but kinda fancy and hard to remember: code code"

Thanks Dewster. I realize I missed this in my reply above. I'm going to try moving towards a bbcode style formatting format for forum posts. This editor we're using does some fancy magic to try to auto-close html tags in posts, and sometimes it guesses wrong about how to do that. That's what's leading to the double code blocks you mentioned, I think. It also makes formatting articles for the newsfeed really hard too (using the same editor there). I'm also toying with the idea of moving the whole site to a Wordpress-based engine since I don't really have the time to keep coding up fixes for things. My ultimate goal is to keep the forums viable and usable and not lose any data in the process :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.