custom case for Etherwave theremin kit?

Posted: 2/23/2018 5:07:42 AM
bendra

Hello! I recently acquired a gorgeous oak victorian style church lectern, and I think it would make a very elegant (if a bit heavy) theremin cabinet. My idea is just to buy one of the etherwave (or etherwave plus) kits and drill holes for the antennae, cut out a panel for the knobs, and just put the circuit board et al inside. Is there any reason this wouldn't just work? I'm pretty handy with carpentry and soldering but a novice with the theremin (I've never made one before, although I've played a bit) so sorry if this is a dumb question

Posted: 2/23/2018 1:54:30 PM
dewster

It should work.  Make sure you have some way to easily get at the variable inductors on the printed circuit board to "tune" it now and then.  I'd use something other than plumbing connectors for the antennas - look at UHF connectors, they can accept 3/8" tubing, are fairly quick connect / disconnect, are rugged, can be set to specific angles, there are 90 degree elbows and such available, and they insulate the inner conductor from the cabinet.

Posted: 2/24/2018 1:00:26 AM
Touchless

Brenda,

This transfer of components to a different enclosure is much trickier than you might think, an experienced theremin tech could do it. Be careful of taking advice from bloviating individuals that have "never" demonstrated anything that works much less showing anything anyone else could learn from or build from. I have sold many used Standards ($200 ideal purchase price) and the EWS is the most solid and resalable design out there, I always try to get maybe $300 reselling one.

If cost is not an issue then go for it, it will be a great learning experience. The theremin should be something beautiful, not a cheap digital whistle or toy but something much more.

T

huh?

Posted: 2/24/2018 12:19:14 PM
dewster

"Be careful of taking advice from bloviating individuals that have "never" demonstrated anything that works much less showing anything anyone else could learn from or build from... The theremin should be something beautiful, not a cheap digital whistle or toy but something much more."

I'm calling it: Touchless is actually RStheremin AKA Christopher AKA Oldtemecula.  All the same personality ticks, axes to grind, petty grudges, willful ignorance, etc.

Posted: 2/25/2018 1:14:37 AM
xtheremin8

hi bendra,

sonds like a nice project, but how does your lectern look like? don't hesitate and post a picture via the foto-album, if you like. so the crazy-bunch of theremaniacs here can help you some more. LOL.

it's very doable but you need to know some things or tricks about the theremin to get a good instrument. like that tinfoil underneath the wire that goes to the pitch antenna... but there's the "hotrodding" manual for the etherwave, which gives all the technical details needed.

buy a standart used or new as kit. in both ways, you'll have all the parts needed.  you don't need the plus unless you have use for the cv-outputs. it doesn't plus anything else. but you could extend it's pitch range by 2 octaves in the bass range by adding a espe-01 module.

happy building ;-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.