Need guidance buying modded theremin

Posted: 5/5/2018 7:16:45 PM
Shep41

Ive been following the theremin for a bit now and have to decided to fully commit to it as a musical instrument. I had watched one of Carolina Eyck's videos and she had mentioned a module that would need to be installed for better quality of life, the ESPE01. I cannot sodder and do not want even attempt to on an instrument like this.

I have looked around and noticed that Ethermagic.eu sells custom builts with the ESPE01 installed with it and I'm considering them unless there are better suggestions. Are they reputable? Good quality ?

Tldr: I'm looking to buy a moog etherwave theremin capable of loopers etc with the ESPE01 module preinstalled (basically Carolina Eyck's setup)  also pro or standard, not sure.    thanks

Posted: 5/5/2018 8:17:28 PM
dewster

Hi Shep41,

I've installed a couple of ESPE01 modules, as well as a couple of my own design (essentially the same thing but with BJTs rather than FETs).  You can listen to the difference between stock and modified on this thread: (link).  Modification gives you a much smoother bass field, but removes the coupled sound.

You might want to just buy a stock Etherwave and see if that suits you,  and get someone to add a buffer later.  Where in the world are you located?

Posted: 5/5/2018 11:45:30 PM
Shep41

I'm from the US. The thing is I have no experience soddering and don't want to damage anything or risk it at all. Thats why if its possible to purchase a prebuilt one from Ethermagic.eu I'd shoot towards that unless you really suggest purchasing just one from moog's website

I also would appreciate the much smoother base field because I do find the higher sound to be not as soothing at times

Posted: 5/6/2018 1:55:55 AM
dewster

"I'm from the US"  - Shep41

Well that narrows it down! :-)  

If you buy the ESPE01 and pay shipping both ways I'll install it free.  PM me if interested (my email address is in my profile).

Posted: 5/6/2018 2:25:31 AM
Shep41

Id take you up on your offer but what would make it any different from ethermagic.eu doing it for me?

I'm just curious if theyre reliable on buying a moog theremin through them with the module installed

Posted: 5/6/2018 3:05:21 AM
dewster

"Id take you up on your offer but what would make it any different from ethermagic.eu doing it for me?"  - Shep41

I believe there is some value in "getting to know" the stock Etherwave before modding it, but perhaps not too much.  I don't have any experience with ethermagic and so can't vouch for them.

Have you searched the used market?  A friend of mine scored a couple of them pretty cheap, bag, amp, stand, and all.  I personally think $400 for a new Etherwave is kind of steep, though there aren't a lot of alternatives out there in its class.

Posted: 5/6/2018 3:40:48 AM
Shep41

if youre okay with what I pmed you and you have experience with doing this for people before I'd be down. If anyone could vouch for experience with Ethermagic I'd appreciate it.

Im looking for an ESPE01 Moog Theremin capable of using a looper etc, I think that would be a moot theremin pro,basically Carolina's setup. I think using the module from the get go would be better than having to adjust later on to what I'm not use to.

If anyone has suggestions of sites or users who will sell a moog theremin with the module installed I'd appreciate that as well.

Posted: 5/6/2018 1:39:27 PM
dewster

If you're looking for an Etherwave Pro, they don't make those anymore.  Do you mean the Etherwave Plus?

Posted: 5/6/2018 1:58:08 PM
Shep41

Yeah, sorry I'm new to electronic instruments and theremins in general.

Is the Etherwave Plus different from the standard in any way? Anything I'd be missing out on that is crucial or really useful?

A standard Etherwave Theremin with the ESPE01 module preinstalled from Ethermagic.eu would be $632 + shipping 
An Etherwave Plus would cost roughly $817 + shipping.

I'm just looking for a proper theremin with the module from the start, to avoid having to transition later on. What I mean by proper is being able to support pedals and loopers hooked up etc.

Also off topic question, do you need an amp / speaker for a theremin to output sound or is there a speaker built into it?

Posted: 5/6/2018 3:26:01 PM
xtheremin8

hi shep41,
ethermagic is runned by famous thereminist wilco botermans. he produces also the espe-module and sells proper tuned instruments, so you'll have a linear as possible pitchfield right out of the box. that's very usefull when practicing carolinas finger- technique.
the ew-plus offers 3 cv-outputs for driving synths or moogerfoogers etc...
a not too small keyboard amp from behringer or something is what you need or a bose L1 would be nice. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.