New theremim player

Posted: 9/7/2018 2:51:43 AM
Mateus

Hello everybody .. I am a bass player in adventure with a theremim and my goals is to really play good the instrument to put in a pratical way ( solos ,play beatifull melodies and I loved the ideia to use a theremim like a brass...) I am here looking for tips for beginner (free internet classes) because its doset not have teacher where I live .. if you can help me i will apreciate =)
thank you !!

Posted: 9/7/2018 11:07:15 AM
xtheremin8

hi mateus,
welcome here. 
you might find a lot of answers for your burning questions here at thereminworld.
peter pringle has always some good advices for theremin novices...
check out carolina eyck's you-tube videos for some basics. or pamelia stickney's walking-bass-playing technique on the theremin.
do you allready have a theremin? hope your etherwave has the espe-module inside for the extended bass range.

Posted: 9/7/2018 8:56:27 PM
Mateus

Thank you Xtheremin8 . Yes I allready have one ,bougth last year !
But I dont know how to begin in a technique way .When I play I aways try to play some melodie ( tryng ) and do experimental thing but I really want to know to play a scale and intervals in a clean way 

Posted: 9/7/2018 10:35:14 PM
xtheremin8

practice, practice and some more practice.
i came across musescore some time ago:https://musescore.org a very cool software to play along with and it became my #1 practice tool for the classical songs. it also has a huge user library with tons of classics. it's free and safe etc....  i have a chromatic tuner also attached to the headphone out.(pitch preview) that helps me to determinate at least the proper starting note when i play on my own. elsewise i play a song in a wrong key and doesn't even care. 
i have a good ear but not perfect pitch.
for the finger technique i don't know. whatever fits you. youtube is your friend here.
but:...as a bass player, you already know many scales, on the theremin: play those boring scales without using the volume hand. hellofafun!

Posted: 7/28/2019 2:25:21 PM
DanielMacKay

https://www.facebook.com/DanielMacKay1961/videos/10161992641090287/

An hour a day.

Posted: 7/29/2019 4:55:12 PM
Goosebane

Hey everyone,
i do a lot of experimental modular sounds and some week ago I really get hooked on thermin and to play it!
i know it is a lot of practice to play it right but I totally on it and so my first question is: what is a good alternative amp to the moog one to play it? 
Thanks for for a forum like that and that I can talk to other theremin lovers or is there a special name for theremin players??

Posted: 7/29/2019 5:09:44 PM
DanielMacKay

Goosebane:

I tried out several guitar amps before I found one that was in my price range that worked OK.

I got to be friends with a local used musical instruments dealer, and asked him if I could buy an amp, try it out and bring it back for exchange if I didn't like it. 

I wanted a small one and the first two I tried out had awful artifacts / resonance at particular frequencies that made them awful with my Moog Etherwave with the ESPE01 Standard Pitch Extension.

I ended up with the quite tiny Kustom KLA10:

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg5NDQ=/z/UTAAAOSwiZVbg-dL/$_86.JPG

Posted: 7/30/2019 12:32:36 AM
Goosebane

@DanielMacKay: thank you for that tip!
I use a little Vox guitar amp by now but I have always that felling that I ruin the amp with the theremin sound so far...
Maybe I think about to check it with a keyboard amp or a vocal one also!

Posted: 7/30/2019 1:01:03 AM
DanielMacKay

I wouldn't worry about damaging the amp.  How does it sound? Does it sound great throught the theremin's range?

Posted: 7/30/2019 6:35:33 PM
Goosebane

Sometimes the sound get really quick this fuzzy-disturbing, so I have to play it damn quietly...but of course it work and at some FX pedal to it and YEAH that sound awesome!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.