Build an Analog Theremin that Rivals a Modern Day Classic for about $100

Posted: 2/6/2019 10:19:50 PM
Thierry

Большое спасибо за эти подробности! 

Posted: 2/8/2019 5:47:45 PM
JPascal

I like the video too. A very authentic one.

Posted: 2/8/2019 6:46:22 PM
gerd

I like the violin/cello-like sound.

Posted: 2/17/2019 7:33:29 PM
JohnnyWho

Just so anyone interested knows, I 'm currently building this project, so I 'll leave brief notes of my progress here. So far I 've etched a workable version of the PCBs and have most components at hand. As the project approaches completion, I 'll most probably be posting tuning tips/tricks solutions to problems, etc.

Posted: 2/17/2019 9:38:40 PM
Thierry

I wonder if the PCB layout is available somewhere as Eagle PCB layout files. This would allow to upload them on OSHpark and everybody who is interested could order a readily etched PCB with solder mask for a few bucks...

Posted: 2/18/2019 3:07:21 AM
oldtemecula

Being it is early for others to build this project I always fear what if there is a mistake in the process. The volume board has room to add an extra pitch preview circuit that only comes on when “no” sound is heard. It will use the ring side of the TRS PP jack so someone can choose which ear bud to use for the effect they want.

The board layout is from 10 years ago and I am limited in what changes I can make as I do not have the original software, hard drive crash. Can not add a top layer so bare wire jumpers will be  needed. In home made boards I learned to use fat lines and pads.

I have little interest in this project anymore, it has been maybe 17 years, and once satisfied would put the Gerber files on line so anyone brave enough can get boards made for personal use or sale.

Johnny is my test dummy, he puts up with my mood disorder late into his night, and he has some theremin experience so ideal for this project.

When I say Clara’s voice was a gift to me, I am not sure yet if that means anyone else! LOL

Valery's performance is a miracle, I never heard my boards make music, it was alway theory or better yet Alchemy.

PS: Pitts will be on board before anyone knows it, this project has a conclusion, not seven years of wheels stuck in the mud.

Christopher

Posted: 2/18/2019 8:44:31 AM
pitts8rh

I am not sure yet if that means anyone else! LOLValery's performance is a miracle, I never heard my boards make music, it was alway theory or better yet Alchemy.PS: Pitts will be on board before anyone knows it, this project has a conclusion, not seven years of wheels stuck in the mud.Christopher

A pattern of directing insults toward specific forum users is generally considered bad form.  Passing other's personal website contact information to nefarious internet sites is worse.  This behavior is not normal.

-pitts8rh

Posted: 2/18/2019 12:21:52 PM
Thierry

If we weren't all a little crazy, we wouldn't be part of this extremely heterogeneous Theremin community. 

I for my part am ready to accept relatively high eccentricity from others, expecting that mine will be accepted, too. So, instead of shooting back and again, let's find ways to deal with everybody's "specialties"!

Posted: 2/18/2019 2:11:18 PM
pitts8rh

If we weren't all a little crazy, we wouldn't be part of this extremely heterogeneous Theremin community. I for my part am ready to accept relatively high eccentricity from others, expecting that mine will be accepted, too. So, instead of shooting back and again, let's find ways to deal with everybody's "specialties"!

Yet, perhaps instead of pointing to "both siderism" as the problem we could look at which individual is making derogatory comments and which are merely calling him to task for this behavior.  This is not innocent eccentric behavior and it is not limited to what you can observe on Theremin World.  So with all due respect, I appreciate your conciliatory comments, but you can only observe a small piece of what has been happening. 

Posted: 2/19/2019 3:07:16 PM
Thierry

This is not innocent eccentric behavior and it is not limited to what you can observe on Theremin World.  So with all due respect, I appreciate your conciliatory comments, but you can only observe a small piece of what has been happening.

I've seen a few forum members who had periodically difficulties in civilized behavior, probably when they ran out of their pills, over the last 12 years here. Only one got temporarily banned for open antisemitism. My approach to remain kind, tolerant and forgiving with virtually everybody (sometimes I even apologized while being right) has most times worked and lowered the amplitude of the waves. A glass of good French red wine, preferably from the Medoc region in the South of Bordeaux, helped me occasionally with that. ;-)

A general problem of internet forums is that you do not really know who is behind a user name and since one shouldn't judge someone without having walked a mile in their shoes, it appears often difficult to understand what the motivation behind rants or aggression from a particular person is. Thus I won't intervene again on that specific situation. Jason is the chief kahuna here and I let it up to him.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.