So, does the Etherwave need an amp?

Posted: 10/30/2018 2:45:02 PM
vero

Hi!

So, my name is Véronique and I am planning to learn the theremin tomorrow (I should receive my new Etherwave Standard tomorrow) and I'm wondering before I get my hopes up, do I need an amp at this early stage in order to make it produce sounds or can I go without one for the time being?

Posted: 10/30/2018 5:39:33 PM
oldtemecula

Hello Vero,

Yes you need an amplifier and most likely one that has a three prong plug so it is properly grounded. I think Thierry is better qualified to list what modern keyboard amplifier is best for a nice first amp and not break the bank.

Christopher

Edit: Here is the amp that Thierry mentions below from Amazon.

Posted: 10/30/2018 9:57:33 PM
Thierry

I recommend the Behringer KT-108 to my beginner students. It costs around 90$ only, outputs around 15W which is sufficient for practicing and performing in smaller venues, is easy to carry around, and, most important, provides proper grounding.

Posted: 10/31/2018 4:41:06 PM
vero

Yeah, I got my theremin today and I was so excited putting it together only to get frustrated that the expected sound didn't come out.

In hindsight, I so should have checked this thread this morning.

Posted: 10/31/2018 9:33:36 PM
vero

Out of curiosity, if an amp needs to be grounded in order to work with a theremin, are battery-powered amps able to be used with a theremin?

Posted: 10/31/2018 9:45:38 PM
oldtemecula

Hello vero,

"Out of curiosity, if an amp needs to be grounded in order to work with a theremin, are battery-powered amps able to be used with a theremin?"

That is a very good question and I would say the answer is yes, but only if your theremin power cord is a three prong plug. All of mine are. A theremin needs a good earth ground to respond properly and to not distort the sound, there is a little more to it but that is the basic idea.

People that play on street corners "in my opinion" need to drive a long metal rod into a flower bed for the best results and leave it there for the next time they return to play. I have heard of people standing on conductive mats or the audio cable to the amp for better response but the sound will still get a little weird.

Christopher

Posted: 10/31/2018 11:55:56 PM
Thierry

A battery powered amp is not at all the first choice with a theremin since other ways have to be found to provide stable grounding, as Christopher pointed out. If that can not be found, the second best solution would be to keep the theremin’s and the player’s potentials at least at identical level, thus providing virtual grounding with a conductive wrist or ankle strap. But these are technical crutches. Why would one take such a risk, thus compromising the already difficult learning curve at the beginning? Go for the recommended equipment and you’ll have eliminated at least 85% of the potential sources of difficulties and problems. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.