Controlling images with theremin (EW +)

Posted: 11/27/2018 7:42:43 PM
pegamin

Hello,
mesmerized by an old ('96) video Lydia just posted on a well-known social network, where she's "controlling" the images with the theremin, I'm wondering... how to do this?
Lydia explains that she managed to do this via MIDI, and it's pretty clear that she's working with someone (at a computer) who's changing the sounds.

I would like do something similar, and I would like to get even more crafty than her example (being able to stop, change video... any controlling option interests me), and I would like to do it solo.

I have an EW+, with nice CV outs... any suggestion?

Cheers

Posted: 11/27/2018 7:50:04 PM
oldtemecula

Now you have me curious, I have never visited fb if that is the place. What is the link to your mesmerizing?

PS: I am avoiding, need to get into the back room and start doing some soldering, just not as fun anymore.

Christopher

Posted: 11/27/2018 8:13:02 PM
pegamin

Now you have me curious, I have never visited fb if that is the place. What is the link to your mesmerizing?PS: I am avoiding, need to get into the back room and start doing some soldering, just not as fun anymore.Christopher

Yes that's the club. No other link outside there as far as I can discern. Here you go:
https://www.facebook.com/1438144235/videos/pcb.10217893877805426/10217893599398466/?type=3&theater

or else

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1438144235

Since you're there, any chance of a phoenix getting sold? I couldn't solder my two fingers together, let alone distinguish a diode from a capacitator...

Posted: 11/27/2018 9:51:07 PM
oldtemecula

Since you're there, any chance of a phoenix getting sold?

Your hope is to find a electronic builder friend who could put the Phoenix together for you.

Right now my website has become too complicated after so many years. Somewhere in January I will post the final circuit board PDF with several nice features and it all fits in an EWS box.

You having interest is a nice complement. I have given away EWS at no cost over the years if someone is local and reveals talent. But it just does not happen anymore. Theremin interest has been in decline the last ten years here in the states. For me the world has become the new age of gimmicks as I have never even owned any type of cell-phone. But I do watch TV on my laptop.

I like that expression I wrote in my other post being somewhat of a theremin designer: "Would a good Thereminist want a German Stiletto or a Swiss army knife?" The theremin should remain a simple device yet in skilled hands be beautiful.

I had an agreement with an old man from the beginning that if I would not sell anything I would be given secrets and I found someone who will soon be able to verify this. Oh I just love mystery!

Christopher  

Edit: Because I use PWM, whatever that is, the Phoenix can control the intensity of a floodlight shining on the performer using the volume control, no sound is dim or dark for drama, loud is bright light. The Phoenix is about being born again or rising from the ashes.

I was able to view the Lidia video and it is interesting. In another era 80's I use to fire off 16 slide projectors synchronized to music for a fun visual effect, that got me a few girlfriends but now time has passed, I look forward to the future.

Posted: 11/28/2018 1:00:07 PM
pegamin

You having interest is a nice complement.

No, I don't think so. It's only natural. I love my EW but I'm always on the search for another instrument with different features, and Clara's tone out of the box is a feature that any player would find attractive. I once had the chance to play an RCA, for about a minute. Chills came down my spine, it was really something physical and stronger than me at that particular moment.

...the Phoenix can control the intensity of a floodlight shining on the performer using the volume control

Whoah!

Thanks for your kind, prompt answers,
Best

Posted: 3/7/2019 8:48:47 AM
Gwendolyne

Is that a normal situation?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.