Beginner interested in Jewish music

Posted: 12/14/2018 3:41:00 PM
tausciam

Hi. I just bought a used theremini on eBay. I'd really like to learn the music used in synagogue on Shabbat. Any idea on how I would go about doing that? I was a trumpet player in high school band, but that's been over 30 years ago, but I'm sure I could accomplish reading sheet music again.

As I'm brand new to this, I thought the best way to learn would be to start with the songs I hear every week. But, since it's obvious they don't write sheet music for theremini, what do I even look for?

Also, since it's used, will I be able to register it and download the editor for PC?

Thanks everyone. I look forward to learning this thing. I'm a geek and a ham radio operators, so it's a natural fit for me

Posted: 12/17/2018 7:33:30 AM
voretaq7

As I'm brand new to this, I thought the best way to learn would be to start with the songs I hear every week. But, since it's obvious they don't write sheet music for theremini, what do I even look for?

Well I can't speak to any of the Theremini-specific stuff, but from a musical standpoint starting with the (simple) temple songs you already have burned into your ears certainly seems reasonable.

You probably want to start with the very basics (http://www.thereminworld.com/Learn-to-Play right here has some good resources) and get to the point where you can do one or two octave scales reliably first so you have the notes and positions "programmed" in your hands, but then you should be able to pick out the simple melodies from Shabbat music you know.

If having the sheet music helps then they certainly write sheet music "for Theremin" - It's the same as sheet music for voice (or any other monophonic instrument you like - flute, oboe, saxophone, etc.) and I'm sure you can find at least the vocal melodies for Shabbat music online somewhere. The tough part is translating the notes in sheet music to hand motion/positions. (I'm a string player myself so that analogy is natural, I think the equivalent for a trumpet would be translating the notes to the changes in embouchure you need to get the desired pitch?)

As a side note there are apparently "graphical notation" systems for Theremin. I'm not really familiar with any of them and there doesn't seem to be a consensus or standard, but there are probably some posts on here that talk about them. I expect that since you've got experience reading sheet music you'd probably find it easier to build on that than learn an entirely new system of notation though, and long-term it will probably be easier to learn new pieces off "regular" scores than have to re-score everything yourself.

Posted: 12/17/2018 1:04:33 PM
tausciam

but from a musical standpoint starting with the (simple) temple songs you already have burned into your ears certainly seems reasonable.

Thank you. That music is so embedded I find myself humming along to the tunes sometimes during the day. As a bonus, I don't have to spend all my time learning classical music. I get the feeling most theremin players here play classical. Truth be told, I haven't even listened the whole way through to that recording of "The Swan". I've never even heard of that song before this... and don't care for it now. I got Carolina Eyck's "The Art of Playing Theremin" and it seems to be REALLY good with the information. There are tons of exercises and songs, but the songs aren't full songs...I can deal with that without getting bored out of my skull. Plus, she throws in some old folk tunes with it as well.

But, for me, the idea I can use this thing to play Jewish tunes... find some Middle Eastern music and play it... maybe some Kate Rusby style folk... sounds like a whole lot of fun to me.

Posted: 12/18/2018 6:08:58 AM
voretaq7

When you get right down to it any instrument can play any style: You can play the Moonlight Sonata on a kazoo if you want, and you can play punk rock on a cello.

Clara Rockmore's use of the theremin vs. the Sci Fi film industry's use of it shows only part of the instrument's possible repertoire, but it shows that it is an instrument capable of melodic work in the right hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk shows another popular tune from a movie most of us have probably seen at least once.

Posted: 12/20/2018 3:12:18 PM
tausciam

The pitch knob on a theremini.... Caroline Eyck's book said you should adjust it until you get a full ovtave between closed hand and open hand, but I can turn the knob completely from one side to the other and only get 1 extra note out of it. Is this normal?

Posted: 12/20/2018 5:08:30 PM
Dominique

I prefer Kip Rosser's approach. You set the null at a distance you are comfortable with. See http://kiprosser.com/?page_id=215

How to set the zero beat is lesson zero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24IUZPj70GM

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.