Hello. New to Theremins and the Community

Posted: 12/17/2018 7:32:02 PM
JRodrig

Hi there.

Man, so glad to find this website. I felt like the theremin was a dead instrument after I got mine. It's impossible to find "how to" videos on YouTube.

Long story short, it took me about two weeks to get the theremin and all the parts I needed. I purchased a Zep Theremin and got a foot-volume pedal after watching a short video I could find. I enjoy the ability to change volume with the pedal, but can see why most people get the more expensive devices with volume control built in.

Anyways, completely new. Still playing with the zero beat - I have it at a certain pitch, but am trying to find it at a pitch I prefer. I really like how one can almost visualize the range of notes depending on where one places their hand or fingers, in height and distance from the antenna. I'm thinking of getting a barometer app and then a piece of paper to draw the notes so I can remember where they all are the next time I play.

I'm glad to see these forums are still active, so I hope to find answers to questions. Like, "Where can I start learning how to play?" and "I don't remember the term, but how many of you make those air pinches when you play?" I see there's a few articles, the main suggestion being books, which make it hard to know if one is doing it right. I guess I can start here for now - http://kiprosser.com/?page_id=215.

Posted: 12/17/2018 9:14:59 PM
tausciam

I joined a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, the forums don't appear to be active anymore. There are a few posts here and there, but I get the impression things have died over the last couple of years.

I picked up a used theremini. I'll learn on it and maybe progress to a PAIA kit or etherwave once I get a little competent.

As far as books, I got Caroline Eyck's Art of Playing the Theremin and it looks to be pretty good. Grillo's instructional videos are free to stream with Amazon Prime as well.

Posted: 12/17/2018 9:32:02 PM
JRodrig

Thanks for the info. I see some sub forums have died and some are still rather active. Feel free to connect, and maybe we can learn together

Posted: 12/18/2018 3:43:18 AM
dewster

We're not dead yet!

Posted: 12/18/2018 4:23:28 AM
DOMINIK

Welcome. 
First step: follow your insight and get yourself a theremin..

Posted: 12/18/2018 6:09:39 AM
voretaq7

Can I get on the cart tho? Vacuum tube gear is heavy

Posted: 12/19/2018 8:04:23 AM
DOMINIK

No need for a vacuum tube model. The volume pedal is the hindrance. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.