Poor volume control range

Posted: 5/9/2019 8:51:24 PM
dewster

"damm you said too much now, what are the issues?"  - nocomp

The Etherwave is really difficult to tune, though once you get it in tune it tends to stay there for a while.  I owned one (a kit) and had a devil of a time getting it tuned initially.  I've tuned two of them (one a Big Briar, one an Etherwave Plus) for another player here in NJ, and every time I do a tuning job it's a little different and challenging in some new stupid way.  The tuning instructions provided by Moog, Inc. are less than worthless.  Even though I use an oscilloscope and DMM to help guide me, I'm never really sure when I'm "done" tuning as it's a big mushy mess.  And the tuning knob doesn't directly compensate for environmental capacitance changes, so you're forever removing the cover to tinker with the guts.

If you install the ESPE01 module or other "range extender" buffer board the bass end timbre goes to hell.  If you don't install it the bass end of the field is smaller and less linear.

The antennas are sink / toilet plumbing tubing and connectors, I really dislike them.

There is no ESD protection or antenna insulation, so the pitch and volume oscillators can get zapped.

It's a difficult instrument to own if you want to keep it in tip-top shape.  Be prepared for a very technical learning curve that you may never feel you've completely mastered.  It's the best of the worst, the devil we know.

Posted: 5/10/2019 1:14:28 PM
nocomp

"damm you said too much now, what are the issues?"  - nocompThe Etherwave is really difficult to tune, though once you get it in tune it tends to stay there for a while.  I owned one (a kit) and had a devil of a time getting it tuned initially.  I've tuned two of them (one a Big Briar, one an Etherwave Plus) for another player here in NJ, and every time I do a tuning job it's a little different and challenging in some new stupid way.  The tuning instructions provided by Moog, Inc. are less than worthless.  Even though I use an oscilloscope and DMM to help guide me, I'm never really sure when I'm "done" tuning as it's a big mushy mess.  And the tuning knob doesn't directly compensate for environmental capacitance changes, so you're forever removing the cover to tinker with the guts.If you install the ESPE01 module or other "range extender" buffer board the bass end timbre goes to hell.  If you don't install it the bass end of the field is smaller and less linear.The antennas are sink / toilet plumbing tubing and connectors, I really dislike them.There is no ESD protection or antenna insulation, so the pitch and volume oscillators can get zapped.It's a difficult instrument to own if you want to keep it in tip-top shape.  Be prepared for a very technical learning curve that you may never feel you've completely mastered.  It's the best of the worst, the devil we know.

what is for you the "less worst" model for an ex theremini user then?

Posted: 5/10/2019 2:04:47 PM
dewster

"what is for you the "less worst" model for an ex theremini user then?"  - nocomp

At the moment, the Etherwave is the only game in town (that I'm aware of) if you want a reasonable quality instrument from a manufacturer. 

There are individual builders out there that can likely give you better, such as Dominik's Subscope [LINK].  If you can hold off for a while (TBD) I'll probably be building and selling my D-Lev.

Posted: 5/11/2019 7:18:26 AM
nocomp

"what is for you the "less worst" model for an ex theremini user then?"  - nocompAt the moment, the Etherwave is the only game in town (that I'm aware of) if you want a reasonable quality instrument from a manufacturer.  There are individual builders out there that can likely give you better, such as Dominik's Subscope [LINK].  If you can hold off for a while (TBD) I'll probably be building and selling my D-Lev.

thank you for this update!!! 
subscope is out of my budget.
question , i see often some "pro" player using the moog etherwave pro, not available from moog s website.
any idea why it has been stopped?

thank you for your time

Posted: 5/11/2019 8:59:29 PM
dewster

There weren't that many Etherwave Pros manufactured, and they're collector's items now.  I imagine they were a money loser, so Moog Inc. stopped making them.  There really aren't all that many players out there.

Posted: 5/12/2019 8:00:27 AM
nocomp

6000 eur for one on second hands!! what did they had that etherwave doesn t?

Posted: 5/12/2019 10:53:28 AM
estring

I filled in the volume antenna loop on my Theremin with an aluminium plate. It made it more sensitive.
It's a modified Jaycar theremin.  See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSyvr-_nvbo

Posted: 5/12/2019 12:44:52 PM
oldtemecula

estring, that was really good. The support screw in the pvc pipe pitch antenna made me smile if it is what I think it is?

What is the pitch oscillator frequency of a modified Jaycar? Possibly 460 khz exactly half of the ideal Electrodeum freq. humm....

Your musical note spacing seems workable, maybe three octaves?

Christopher  

Posted: 5/12/2019 2:36:07 PM
nocomp

I filled in the volume antenna loop on my Theremin with an aluminium plate. It made it more sensitive.It's a modified Jaycar theremin.  Seehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSyvr-_nvbo

just tried on my theremini, works like a charm!!
gonna dig this direction see how i can improve that more
thank you very much

Posted: 5/12/2019 3:14:32 PM
nocomp

What makes it improve the sensitivity?

Surface of foil ( the more you wrap, the more sensible it become?)
Lenght of the piece of foil?

If a technicial coul explain, would be awesome.

Thank you for your time.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.