Anyone interested in two Fred Mundell units? I dont think they are complete, They are SkyWave H1's

Posted: 5/13/2019 12:58:59 PM
BAMRECORDINGS1969

I do not seem to be able to attach any pics, apologies. I can email/WhatsApp them to you no problem

Regards

Bob.

Posted: 5/13/2019 1:10:59 PM
BAMRECORDINGS1969

Can anyone advise how I attach pictures? I do not understand this URL thing!

Posted: 5/13/2019 1:39:44 PM
dewster

Third button from the right, if you hover your mouse it says "Insert an image".  Paste the link to the picture in the URL: box.

If you don't have links to the pictures, you can stick the pics in a photo album here at TW and then link to them.  (This would be a good thing to do anyway as I'm sure there is general interest in them.)

If it's too confusing, PM me and I'll help.

Posted: 5/13/2019 9:35:07 PM
oldtemecula

The real value in Fred’s work is for those of us that knew him. I can think of about five people at TW that would honor one of his theremin designs sitting in the corner of the room we do our research in. Whether any of us agree we still stand on the shoulders of those that went before us. I would not have accomplished as much as I did if Fred had not pissed me off a few times... ok a lot a times, so I thought… I will show him.

Christopher

Posted: 5/14/2019 8:25:14 AM
BAMRECORDINGS1969

The real value in Fred’s work is for those of us that knew him. I can think of about five people at TW that would honor one of his theremin designs sitting in the corner of the room we do our research in. Whether any of us agree we still stand on the shoulders of those that went before us. I would not have accomplished as much as I did if Fred had not pissed me off a few times... ok a lot a times, so I thought… I will show him.Christopher

Hello Christopher, I am an utter novice in this field & have only entered it as I purchased these two units, it looks from the picture you posted that the rod that comes out the top is what is missing from these two units. Your words come across as deeply passionate and I understand the meaning if not the subject matter, I have been recording music for 25 years now so I have the passion as well! I purchased them at an auction, they were listed as (misc) speakers! I knew this was not the case straight away as they looked like someone's bizarre experiment at first. it wasn't until I got my hands on them that I saw the sticker on the back of one of them stating 'Skywave H1 Theremin' Designed and built in the UK by Fred Mundell, this led me to google and to this website. Thank you for your response.
Regards
Bob.

Posted: 5/14/2019 12:49:14 PM
dewster

Hi Bob,

Fred was an amazingly person who shared his deep knowledge of Theremins here at TW.  He was an excellent electrical engineer, and although I never had the chance to met him in the flesh, I considered him to be a close friend and a fantastic source of inspiration.

If you could email me the photos (tammieholloway@optimum.net) I'll post them here at TW.

Best,

Eric

Posted: 5/14/2019 4:38:10 PM
BAMRECORDINGS1969

Hi Bob,Fred was an amazingly person who shared his deep knowledge of Theremins here at TW.  He was an excellent electrical engineer, and although I never had the chance to met him in the flesh, I considered him to be a close friend and a fantastic source of inspiration.If you could email me the photos (tammieholloway@optimum.net) I'll post them here at TW.Best,Eric

Thank you so much Eric! Very kind of you. Email sent

Bob.

Posted: 5/14/2019 4:40:49 PM
BAMRECORDINGS1969

Hi Bob,Fred was an amazingly person who shared his deep knowledge of Theremins here at TW.  He was an excellent electrical engineer, and although I never had the chance to met him in the flesh, I considered him to be a close friend and a fantastic source of inspiration.If you could email me the photos (tammieholloway@optimum.net) I'll post them here at TW.Best,EricThank you so much Eric! Very kind of you. Email sentBob.

Hi Again Eric, I've just realised the unit in the photo you posted looks exactly the same as these. I'm presuming he built quite a few?

Bob.

Posted: 5/14/2019 5:20:02 PM
dewster

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the pix!  I posted them here at TW: [LINK]

Fred made several (maybe six?) for an installation that is pictured above.  Had a lot of trouble with grounding IIRC.

Interesting that he picked powered speakers as the basis for the build.

Posted: 5/14/2019 8:43:22 PM
BAMRECORDINGS1969

Hi Bob,Thanks for the pix!  I posted them here at TW: [LINK]Fred made several (maybe six?) for an installation that is pictured above.  Had a lot of trouble with grounding IIRC.Interesting that he picked powered speakers as the basis for the build.

Hi and thank you for posting the pics, I don't think he did use powered speakers . It looks like they are very average bookshelf speakers stuck together one facing forward one facing back and the pre - amp has been added afterwards  When I first saw a pic of them I very much presumed they were powered floor standing speakers which is what piqued my interest as they are rare. They looked much bigger in the pics lol.
So there they are, they power up and when the micro switch is on the theramin comes Into play and when off they are just powered speakers. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.