Tube Theremins

Posted: 7/7/2019 10:02:05 PM
oldtemecula

Over the years I have made it a point not to trash any theremin design as we can learn something from all of them. I will not even call them a toy.

What I complain about is posting theremin non-sense that one else can build and the designer will not demonstrate a single simple sound byte. I cannot play yet post a lot of samples so others can understand what I am trying to explain. Good theremin sound exists in a very narrow window.

I find this tube theremin pretty and the simple question I keep asking is what does using vacuum tubes add to the project besides making it pretty. If I was going for the finest theremin voice I would also go with the vacuum tube at least in the first stage for reasons most do not understand.

The designer is following this thread no doubt and he chooses to keep anyone from hearing what his final results are, we can make it better.

Over the years TW can be brutal but there are a few who have developed good theremin instinct as they were invited and could help others improve their results.  Then there are the others, not so nice.

The first correction to help this design is to figure out an effective way to drop the volume loop down 25 cm and to the left to lower it below the main board, like an upside down L

I have many proven ideas to help with any theremin, tube or solid state, you just have to look.

Christopher   

Posted: 7/7/2019 10:57:02 PM
xtheremin8

it’s a proof of concept. not a musical instrument. and he confesses: i’m not a thereminist.
i don’t think he follows thereminworld at all. or it would have turned out differently.

Posted: 7/8/2019 12:47:21 AM
oldtemecula

The video through TW works perfect but was not accessible from the original website.

This tube project has the endorsement of oldtemecula.com WD6EDZ for whatever that is worth. Unfortunately fundraising is over. This is the perfect theremin as all theremin evolution is a spin off from this point. I am so excited that now I am peeing on my own leg, even have a slight tear remembering my first time.

Whenever I say we are losing the beauty of basic electronics this website captures all of that wonder... again for me.

As some of you know my name is Christophe S Becker, I may have come from the Lowlands, genetically I was born to be part of this stuff, I was "invited". 

For the open minded there is a lot to learn here, his success did not come overnight. I can rest now as I am not alone.

Curious... does anyone see any specially wound coils?  

Christopher

Posted: 7/8/2019 9:15:51 AM
JPascal

The video of kainka-labs shows in the last sequences some of the limits of this project, especially concerning pitch, timbre, volume. 

Posted: 6/8/2023 10:20:30 PM
bisem

" It is easy to make fabricated claims and demonstrate nothing; these are probably Trump supporters."

I think the above quote is rather brutal towards someone you don't know....especially since they are from across the pond.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.