Zoom G1on : very first impressions

Posted: 8/29/2019 2:49:32 AM
bendra

This won't be for everyone (to say the least), but it's probably the most fun I've had playing in the last year or so :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlrZ0AgIucY&feature=share

Posted: 8/29/2019 4:29:58 PM
DanielMacKay

bendra: I'm very happy that you're enjoying the G1ON too. 

I went through all one hundred preset patches and picked out ones that I might use, or might use parts of

Possible performance patches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C3: just a little echo and perhaps a tiny amount of chorus?
B1: possible useful Chorus
B3: Chorus + delay + Echo

Ones that sound like voices
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A3, E5, B9, J4, D2

Wacky Sounds
~~~~~~~~~~
A9, J2, C2, D8, C9, D1, E9, H0 H2, H3 H4, H5, H7, H9, H9

Things I might use parts of
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A4: to make a staccato sound
F0
G3

Posted: 9/16/2019 5:02:47 PM
bendra

When I read the sad news yesterday about Ric Ocasek I made this recording; posting it hear in case someone is interested. Made with D2 (Talk Funk) filter:

Posted: 9/16/2019 6:41:10 PM
DanielMacKay

I just used the A4 built-in patch -- "Down Heavy" to do a fun version of the guitar sound in "Smoke On The Water"

Posted: 9/17/2019 10:39:45 PM
DanielMacKay

ahahah try this one!  what an insane sound for your theremin to make! 

you can skip the first effect though - you don't need that Delay function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNNrCkPNTzU

Posted: 9/20/2019 7:24:31 PM
bendra

Me again! I'm now trying using the Autowah filter (with a preampt to reduce the volume to very low), and I'm really liking the result - to me sounds kind of like a buzzy old RCA theremin (maybe it's just me). 2 takes, 1 with filter, 1 without. Have a listen

(and no, I have no illusions about my playing skill)

Posted: 10/23/2019 5:00:45 AM
aliamo

Thanks for all of the tips! I'm having fun playing with my G3X but haven't gotten too deep into the filters yet. Question for those of you who use the looper. I'm finding that when my foot hovers above the button, the pitch of my theremin goes out of whack. This makes it very difficult to smoothly press on the button with my foot and play the notes correctly and in time. Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks!

Posted: 10/23/2019 11:45:56 AM
DanielMacKay

> very difficult

yes, using the looper is very very difficult.  I assume as I get better it'll get easier but that's just a hope.

About the pitch, if you have the audio wire under your heel the pitch *shouldn't* change when you touch the pedal.

Posted: 10/23/2019 4:10:02 PM
bendra

Thanks for all of the tips! I'm having fun playing with my G3X but haven't gotten too deep into the filters yet. Question for those of you who use the looper. I'm finding that when my foot hovers above the button, the pitch of my theremin goes out of whack. This makes it very difficult to smoothly press on the button with my foot and play the notes correctly and in time. Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks!

Actually touching the button or just hovering over it? If it's just hovering I have to wonder if you are just off-balance a bit and it's causing your pitch hand to move a bit. If so, practice should help. Or try playing seated maybe? If you are sure that you aren't moving at all then it must somehow be a capacitance change. Check your grounding.

Posted: 10/23/2019 9:01:21 PM
DreadVox

I can imagine that when the buttons are metal and you're not wearing shoes it will change the pitch when touching them with a foot, just as when you're touching metal of an effects pedal or the sleeve of the audio cable with a hand.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.