ADE Sound Lab 2019: Moog presents Celebrating the theremin with Dorit Chrysler

Posted: 12/20/2019 4:21:05 PM
DreadVox

ADE Sound Lab 2019: Moog presents Celebrating the theremin with Dorit Chrysler at the Amsterdam Dance Event.

Posted: 12/20/2019 7:02:38 PM
bendra

You can see that Dorit's volume antenna isn't a standard theremini (and maybe the circuits are different as well). If I could get that I might actually play mine sometimes...as it is it's just too annoying to deal with 

Posted: 12/20/2019 8:31:52 PM
DreadVox

I think her volume loop/plate is standard, but her pitch antenna is definitely either a custom job or perhaps an E-Pro antenna, significantly longer than the standard Theremini one.
I think in the USA you can get the right diameter (3/8"?) of plumbing pipe to make you own custom length pitch rod.
Over here in Europe it 8 mm or 10 mm diameter, but nothing close enough to 3/8"(~9.5 mm), and 8 mm is to loose to make good electrical contact and wobbles, while 10 mm is to wide to fit at all. It would be an experiment to see if the calibration of the Theremini can accomodate for a taller pitch antenna, I think there's a fair chance that it would work. If I could get some of the right diameter of metal tubing I would be trying it out right away.

Posted: 12/20/2019 9:46:54 PM
bendra

I took a workshop w/ Dorit last year and 100% sure it's not a normal volume antenna (if you watch the vid you can see it's significantly longer than the standard theremini one). You are right that the pitch antenna isn't standard either though.

Posted: 12/21/2019 1:17:32 AM
dewster

I didn't watch it all so maybe I missed something, but the pitch field in that video looks really cramped up and hard to control! 

The pitch antenna does look longer than stock.

The volume antenna looks like many pictures of the Theremini on the web, but in some pictures the antenna looks like it doesn't stick out as far.  Did Moog Inc. redesign the volume antenna or something?  (My pix of the Theremini: http://www.thereminworld.com/album/theremini-pix/15402?photo=15403)

Posted: 12/22/2019 3:19:15 AM
DreadVox

You're right benda, I did watch again with extra attention to that detail, the volume antenna is indeed also larger than on the standard Theremini as they are being sold.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.